What is your reg configuration?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ReneeC

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
All my years of diving, and in all the student manuals I have, your reg gets set up with the 2nd stage and octo on the right and your console and inflator on the left.

I recently moved to South Carolina and found that most shops here have the octo also on the left. I was so confused when I first saw this!

Then I thought about it and still don't like it! 1.) If I have to find my reg - whether primary or octo - I want to lean forward and to the right and sweep to recover. 2.) I'm right handed and it is more comfortable to pick it up from the right. 3.) I don't like having 3 things on one side - too much clutter! and 4.) because I clip the octo off on the right, should I need to remove my bcd for any reason I also have to unclip my octo so it does not prevent me from removing it.

So I'd like to know why anyone would put the octo on the left.

regular octo or alt air on the left?

I think the std is anywhere in the chest 'triangle'

Some places put the Octo on the left because when you present the Octo to your buddy it is already in an up right breathing position without having to put a kink in the hose.

This is only beneficial if you donate your octo, if you are taught to donate your primary then you have to turn it around for you and it no longer has the same benefit.

As long as it is in the chest triangle, you are considered correct and it is a matter of preference.

I personally have tried it in all configurations (except for my Air2 on the BC), and I have found that Primary Air and Octo on the Right and Console on the Left work the best for me.
It also eliminates most of the "Your are not doing it right" comments from which I figure makes it safer since that is what most consider normal and therefor they will not have to hunt for my octo.

If they have to hunt for the octo, that means you will probably end up loosing your primary because they will just take it.

I dive with my Dad and his tech dive team from time to time, they all have there regs with the long hose (octo for me) clipped on the right side console on the left same as me - like you said it creates too much clutter on the left with the inflator and console not to mention the addition of a pony or stage bottle side mounted on the left. I have never heard of standard left rigging either? Come to think of it all of their backup is on the right second BC hose etc.

I would dive with your kit the way that works for you and explain the emergency donning procedure to your buddy in your pre-dive briefing.

Find out what the reasoning is and let us know- there is always a better way to build a mouse trap LOL:D

I guess putting it on the left would reduce the kink. It makes a little bit of sense.

Personally, I donate my primary which has a right angle adapter on it so there is very little kinkage.

I dive with my Dad and his tech dive team from time to time, they all have there regs with the long hose (octo for me) clipped on the right side console on the left same as me.

"tech"?

:confused:

short for technical - divers that go where we dare not to go.... for long periods of time six plus hour dives etc.:shakehead:

Defiantly not for me but they do safety drills and dive recreational with the same kits:wink:

Some places put the Octo on the left because when you present the Octo to your buddy it is already in an up right breathing position without having to put a kink in the hose.

This is only beneficial if you donate your octo, if you are taught to donate your primary then you have to turn it around for you and it no longer has the same benefit.
Many years ago, this is what NASDS taught... that you would donate your octo and both of you would have an upright reg without any 180° bends in the hoses... the problem is that if someone is OOA and you're not ready, there is a strong likelyhood that they will simply grab the reg out of your mouth. So, recognizing that, NASDS also taught us how to clear an upside-down reg.

My other half was only recently certified though SSI and they teach both regs on the same side. I have that setup so she doesn't get too confused... although I have talked about moving my octo to the other side since then, citing the benefits.

As far as gauges... those have always been on the left.

Ken

Back
Top Bottom