Swimming Pool Repair

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TacOps

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi All-

I've been trying to find ways to make money SCUBA diving, more along the lines of odd jobs. I know most of the stuff is dangerous and can be considered commercial diving, but what about pool repair? I read in some other threads that you find the leaks with a spray bottle and red food coloring. Where do you get the patch kit? Is there special underwater glue? Any other tips from people who have done this?

Thanks

First thing you should consider is insurance as in Workmans comp,liability,contractors, etc.I don't know of anyone who would allow an uninsured "worker" (that they hired to perform a job for money) to enter their pool reason being if you got hurt or killed they would be liable.

call a couple residential pool companies in the area and ask if they need any help with VGB cover replacements. Google Virginia Grahme Baker Act to find out what it is.

Years ago, I used to make extra money scraping and cleaning boat hulls in the water. I used a snorkel to work around the boat to clean what I could from the water line down as far as I could reach, and SCUBA for the rest. I don't know if that kind of work is an option these days, though.

Ok, I left my law degree at the lake bottom... what does the act have to do with diving? (I am to lazy to read pages of governmental legal ***) :)

All public pools in the nation need new drain covers to be in compliance. Residential pools aren't required by law to have them, but nobody wants their kids or neighbors to die in the pool, so many educated homeowners are updating their covers as well. It takes too long to do in a deep end just by holding your breath, and it is cheaper, or at least faster, to hire a diver than to drain the pool. Most pool companies are probably using compressors, but I used it as an excuse to buy gear as a business expense (I own a pool service company). First time I have made money while "diving" and it is a good feeling. I do drills while I am there (take off my BC, try to work with my eyes closed etc.) It is losing its novelty but it still beats "work".

If you find that your Pool tile is broken or falling off, this could be because a tile was improperly installed in the first place.You should call a professional pool repair man to install the tile properly so that it will not get broken next time. Also put the better quality tile in the Pool.

Last edited by a moderator:
Years ago, I used to make extra money scraping and cleaning boat hulls in the water. I used a snorkel to work around the boat to clean what I could from the water line down as far as I could reach, and SCUBA for the rest. I don't know if that kind of work is an option these days, though.

Bottom scraping is still done in coastal NC. Not sure how big a market it is or how it pays.

Be aware of differential pressure hazards when working in pools or around boats with water inlets in the hull.

Watch this, especially the incident at 4:15

[video=youtube;AEtbFm_CjE0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEtbFm_CjE0[/video]

Here in AZ I have met a couple of people who dive to recover water balls. These are the balls that golfers hit into water hazards. The divers then sell them back to the clubhouse as range balls.

Having seen these golf course "lakes" though, I am not sure I'd want to get in tbat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom