Cypress Springs 8-5-9 Dive Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SuPrBuGmAn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
After failing to get wet on Sunday at the beach(visibility out of Gulf Shores was measured by inches according to a couple divers we ran into who tried the Whiskey Wreck), Judd C and I decided to hit up Cypress today.

Suprisingly, Judd was on time and at my house by 7AM. I had already packed up the Wagon with the Miss Jellyfish and we just transferred his gear into the car and headed out. An early stop for Redbull and another just East of Crestview for gas, and then finally at our location near Vernon. The water levels on Holmes Creek were up, but not too bad. The boat launch was pretty much empty aside from a few kayakers setting up. We setup the boat and loaded her up with, mainly, OW gear(single tank each) and headed upstream. The Miss Jellyfish came alive and screamed upriver on a plane the entire time. I've never made it to Cypress so fast! Already a start to a great day.

There were two canoes onsite when we arrived. Two kids and a really cool old lady who knew damned near about as many of the local springs as I knew! We talked for a bit before she let us gear up and hit the water. Visibility was typical...infinite, air clear, flawless, 200'+, however you want to say OH SO PERFECT. Flow seemed down a bit and I took a quick foray into the cavern, reaching a max depth of 48'. I spent most of the 36 minute dive time in the shallow OW basin(maxes out around 25' in OW). We found many crawfish, bream, bass, pike, and lots of small fry seemed to have hatched recently. Course, there were eels in the cavern itself. It was a great little dive, but we decided to take a little break to warm up. A little over 45 minutes later we were back in the water to do another short dive on our remaining gas. This time, I stayed in OW and only had a max depth of 23' for a dive time of only 20 minutes. Fun set of dives and my buddy had alot of fun getting back in the water.

Once leaving Cypress, we headed over to Becton, via the cut-through in the woods to make the trip shorter. The basin was flooded, tannic, except for a milky blue hole in the center with a small boil. We weren't diving it, just wanted to check it out, so we headed back, this time through the run and back up Holmes Creek proper. After breaking the Miss Jellyfish back down and loading the car back up, we stopped by to look at Brunson Landing Spring. It was looking quite blue and made me regret not bringing a camera onsite! Ugh. I always do this...

Anyway, another fun trip. Should have an even better time this weekend exploring some cave in the panhandle.

Thanks for the report....Geeez 200', that is awesome. If you're gonna brag about it you gotta take some pictures!

Totally cool man - you put a craving on me!

Mat you are having too many great dives without me!!!! Great report as always..

Mat,
Cool report as always. One correction for your edification. We don't have Pike down south we have thier little cousins the Pickerels. Most of ours are Chain & Grass Pickerels. Toothy little rascals but very sweet I hear if ground and made into patties like Salmon. A pan of biscuits and some syrup and the deal is on!
Bless,
Kenny P.

You can't go wrong with a dive at Cypress....still one of my favorite places to dive.

Agreed! :D

Thanks for the report....Geeez 200', that is awesome. If you're gonna brag about it you gotta take some pictures!

I usually take a camera along to shoot some surface shots, but forgot. I haven't gotten another UW camera since the last two I've flooded.

Totally cool man - you put a craving on me!

Cypress isn't going anywhere :D Maybe a Vortoberfest trip can be had?

Mat you are having too many great dives without me!!!! Great report as always..

Lets go get some more great dives in then :D

Mat,
Cool report as always. One correction for your edification. We don't have Pike down south we have thier little cousins the Pickerels. Most of ours are Chain & Grass Pickerels. Toothy little rascals but very sweet I hear if ground and made into patties like Salmon. A pan of biscuits and some syrup and the deal is on!
Bless,
Kenny P.

I always thought they were the same thing, thanks for the clarification!

:worthless:

Mat, I'm spoiled with your reports and top side pictures and I have memorized all your photos on your site... that was two years ago... :p

Michael

Back
Top Bottom