Votes: 29 30.9%
  • Government Regulation Will Occur

Votes: 14 14.9%
  • Other

Votes: 22 23.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Otter

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
What do you think will be the next big thing in SCUBA?

RB... When the cost of the unit and cost of training come down.. I think you will start to see a lot more divers on them.

I think the whole US LDS/online sales conflict will come to a head and the manufacturers will have to acknowledge they sell their wares in a free market society.

as the sport gets bigger. more and more people will have an appreciation for the ocean, and hopefully more protection laws will be in force. this has been happening already, before rec scuba, there were no underwater national parks, protection for underwater species, and so on. than scuba was invented, and filmographers got involved, changing the world's perspective of the sea.

Solo diving will become an acceptable form of scuba diving. mmmmmmmmmm solo diving! O.K. I am Dreaming but its my dream leave me Alone.:)

I am Dreaming but its my dream leave me Alone.

Thankfully, solo dreaming is already acceptable :D

Picking from the list, I picked rebreathers. Over the next 10-20 years.

Industry-wise, I would say fewer independant dive shops, the expansion of online sales, maybe the appearance of some more discount-type volumne based chain shops, and more independant instruction (my last course was through an independant instructor). Shops that can't survive on meagre gear sales that discount training will fold. The availability of "dark grey market" rebuild kits will result in manufacturers bowing to market demands and providing service courses and parts to any diver rather than just dive store employees, further adding to the demise of independant stores, and perhaps helping build an industry of scuba service centers capable of servicing any brand of gear (like taking your car to Sears).

Gear-wise, I would say more and more adoption of hogarthian-derived rigs, be it an increase in donate-from-the-mouth hose configurations, or an increase in the prevalence of back inflate / backplate and wings rigs.

Diver-and-certification-wise, an increase of intro-to-tech type certifications as PADI charge ahead with TecRec or whatever they call it type courses, and a greater acceptance of DIR as recreational instructors start teaching this style of diving, and eventually a PADI DIR specialty :tease:

okay kidding on the last one

The next BIG thing will be the "artificial gill" that extracts oxygen from seawater, just as soon as the government declassifies the critters.
Cyalume light sticks were once classified. As soon as the govt. gave the OK (early 70's), they were showing up in K-mart within a month.

Bob3 once bubbled...
The next BIG thing will be the "artificial gill" that extracts oxygen from seawater, just as soon as the government declassifies the critters.
Hehehe, as long as they have a warning that they're not to used around algae blooms :D

Is it just my imagination or is that something that is actually being worked on? They sound familiar, and I'm not sure whether to blame it on Discovery Channel or SciFi Network...

I thought you would say that the next big thing would be spring straps....but then I looked at your picture and noticed you had standard straps on your fins....=-)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom