NJ Wreck Diving Question...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am not new to wreck diving but I have never been wreck diving in NJ. When looking at dive charters in the area I've found that almost all boats require an ascent line and lift bag for all divers. Why is this? Most boats I've been on drop a ascent/descent line with the anchor and I don't plan to bring anything up just swim around.

For clarificaiton, I'm taking about standard 2 tank 60'-80' non-penetration wreck dives.

Any assistance or insight would be great.

Thanks!!

So that if you cannot locate anchor line to ascend you can shoot a bag up and ascend on that.Keeps you located close to boat so that you do not drift away and requie a rescue.Most boats also require a independent alternate air source such as a pony/bailout bottle per diver.

The other standard request from Jersey boats is minimum of an AOW Card

Keep in mind that many NJ shipwrecks have been wire dragged, or blown up. This leaves them as a jumble of ribs and hull plates. Great for lobster and fish, but they can be tough to navigate. Also, the visibility can vary from 50 ft to 10 ft. You don't know until you jump in. It's easy to get lost if your not paying attention. Many people will use a wreck reel if they are not familiar with the wreck. If you do get lost, a surface marker or lift bag on the reel makes a personal ascent line. It's best to tie it to the wreck so you don't float away.

Shooting the lift bag on a reel is a skill that should be practiced under controlled conditions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom