Diving Southpaw

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chesch

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey all,

I have been looking around for this and cannot seem to find it ... are there any lefty BCs out there? How about any BCs that can be converted to a more lefty-centric use (Inflator on the other side)?

-M@

I don't believe there are....

But what difference would it make?

Inflating or dumping air from the BCD hardly requires high levels of manual dexterity. Also, with the LPI on the left, surely you have an advantage of 'righties' when it comes to operation of the inflator/deflator????

I am left handed and it never crossed my mind that BCs were designed with right handers in mind and that I was somehow at a disadvantage. I agree with DevonDiver that, if anything, the LPI on the left is an advantage for lefties.

If you need to do a high dexterity task with your free hand whilst altering your buoyancy lefties are at a disadvantage.

If you are really bothered about using your dominant hand to adjust your buoyancy might I suggest something like the Dive Rite Dual Rec Wing. It has a redundant bladder in it whose inflator runs over the right shoulder. Simply blank off the primary bladder (just requires a blanking plug) and use the redundant bladder. You don't even have to go for a Hog style harness, you can get a Transpac or something similar to make it more like a conventional BCD.

Alternatively a lot of the medium to high (not for use with a single tank) lift wings available have the inflater coming off at top centre so simply twist the corrugated hose round by 180o (may not be necessary) and route it over your right shoulder.

There is, however, a slight draw back. Almost everyone else in the diving world will have their inflator on the left, so your set up will cause an element of confusion, not good in an emergency.

I am a lefty and never thought it to be a disadvantage to having the inflator on the left, I have had to "train" myself to use my right hand more, so my left is free to use the inflator, check gauges, etc. but never gave a thought to being at a disadvantage, I actually feel it is an advantage, as I have become more ambidextrous since becoming a diver.

Consistency in SCUBA set-ups is a huge safety factor. Knowing the general vicinity of a standard piece of equipment is vital.

I don't think handedness is an issue (except perhaps the right-hand release on a weight belt.)

If you are worried about keeping your dominant hand free, practice you neutral buoyancy skills so you can keep your hand off your LPI.

You can also wear you computer on your right hand, or clip your console on so you reach for it with your right hand.

My one regret with my gear is that I didn't specify which leg to have my thigh pocket attached to on my dry suit. Consequently, the company put it on my right thigh. I do have to think a little when getting something our of this pocket.

As a lefty you have learned to survive in a right handed world. Don't sell yourself short!

You know, the Deep Sea Supply wing (I'm thinking LCD 30) has the inflator connection at the top center. No big deal whether the elbow is oriented toward the left or right.

Now, there will be an issue with not having 3 LP ports at the first stage all pointing to the right so I suppose the octo could be routed to the left. Or, maybe both second stages come around the left.

Sure, it's non-standard and that's a consideration but, then, so is using an Air Source 2d stage.

The nice thing about something like the DSS wing is that it can be oriented either way. Experiment with it until you like the results.

BTW, I also highly recommend the DSS BP/W but that's not the point of this thread.

Richard

PM ScottZeagle, they do them as a custom option. I believe it has to be one of their products manufactured in FL. They did one recently for a veteran who lost an arm and needed everything switched.

I'm a lefty too and have never had a problem with the inflator on a BC. Actually, I have found that since most BC's have the inflator on the left to be quite an advantage. It seems as if the inventor of the modern BC had lefties in mind for once. :)

Back
Top Bottom