Good deal on Ebay?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diehl

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I wanted to ask you guys from Sherwood if I made a good choice? With the economy the way it is this is the only way I can get the equipment I want. I deal with ebay all the time for other things and this guy which his rating is 100% had a brand new oasis with sherwood octo and guage up for auction I jumped on it. I know I won't have a warranty but in the pictures I think I do see the service rings? But I had him end the auction for $400 shipped. So I want to ask you guys what do I do when it comes to servicing and when it does come what can I check on it to make sure it is new? Sherwood Oasis pro scuba regulator/gauges/brand new - eBay (item 260458604832 end time Aug-11-09 18:38:37 PDT)

Dear Diehl,

I can certainly appreciate wanting to save a couple of bucks. We all do. But this is the exact reason why we don't want our equipment sold on eBay. You have no idea who this is and what has happened to this equipment in the past. Is it good equipment? Yes, it's great equipment. Is it going to perform as it is supposed to? I don't know. What can you do to make sure it is in good working condition? Take it to your LDS and have them give the reg, octo, and gauges the once over. They may charge you, but this is life support equipment! You need to make sure the equipment is in good working condition before you go dive the equipment.

Sherwood Scuba Rep.

I wanted to ask you guys from Sherwood if I made a good choice? With the economy the way it is this is the only way I can get the equipment I want. I deal with ebay all the time for other things and this guy which his rating is 100% had a brand new oasis with sherwood octo and guage up for auction I jumped on it. I know I won't have a warranty but in the pictures I think I do see the service rings? But I had him end the auction for $400 shipped. So I want to ask you guys what do I do when it comes to servicing and when it does come what can I check on it to make sure it is new? Sherwood Oasis pro scuba regulator/gauges/brand new - eBay (item 260458604832 end time Aug-11-09 18:38:37 PDT)

The link shows it to be an ongoing auction? Be sure he has the box and paper work and if he has the warranty registration cards?

Dove with it today and it was perfect. Brand new. Don't care about warranty! LDS needs to come down on prices or more of us will shop online!!!!!

Dove with it today and it was perfect. Brand new. Don't care about warranty! LDS needs to come down on prices or more of us will shop online!!!!!

I agree, to a degree. The manufacturers are FORCING dealers to sell at the higher prices with threats of withdrawal of their franchise or other sanctions. Some manufacturers refuse to provide warranty repairs for their product when they are purchased from other than their "chosen" dealerships. Fortunatly, this is illegal in some states, ie: here in Florida the implied warrantee law states that a product must perform as intended regardless of who sold it and for how much.

If manufacturers understood the market better they would realize that such "gangster-like" policies only cost them business in the long run and allow incompetence amongst their dealers to flourish.

Dear Diehl,

I can certainly appreciate wanting to save a couple of bucks. We all do. But this is the exact reason why we don't want our equipment sold on eBay. You have no idea who this is and what has happened to this equipment in the past. Is it good equipment? Yes, it's great equipment. Is it going to perform as it is supposed to? I don't know. What can you do to make sure it is in good working condition? Take it to your LDS and have them give the reg, octo, and gauges the once over. They may charge you, but this is life support equipment! You need to make sure the equipment is in good working condition before you go dive the equipment.

Sherwood Scuba Rep.

What kind of a life threatening failure do you believe is possible with one of your NEW regulators?

If the regulator is brand new and not been tampered with, then there is nothing that would be wrong with it. But purchasing it from an unknown entity; who knows what they could have done to it.

Sherwood Scuba Rep.

If the regulator is brand new and not been tampered with, then there is nothing that would be wrong with it. But purchasing it from an unknown entity; who knows what they could have done to it.

Sherwood Scuba Rep.

Before you respond to this please read the PLEASE READ sticky at the to of this forum.

What you have done above is at best, irresponsible, and tantamount to someone yelling "fire" in a crowded high school auditorium when there is none, but may, no matter how remotely, occur.

That's exactly what I meant by "gangster-like" tactics. The law frowns on inflammatory tactics designed to instill fear, as yours is obviously intended to do. However, the aforementioned not withstanding, your freedom to speak is guaranteed.

I've been a "Sherwood" diver (Classic II and Oasis) since I was certified 13 years ago...your response saddens me.

Last edited:
DrJRapp,

You can't be serious? Because I reccomend a diver purchase life support equipment from someone we know and trust and not purchase it from someone I have no idea who they are, you accuse us of "gangster like" tactics? We want everyone who dives Sherwood Scuba equipment to make sure that it is assembled correctly and that the company that sold them the equipment has a vested interest in the divers safety. Purchasing it from an unknown entity on eBay does not provide that.

I am thrilled that you have been a long time Sherwood supporter and I hope you remain that way. My motivation is simply to keep the divers safe, not make them pay a higher price.

Sherwood Scuba

This is an old thread, and apparently everything worked out fine, which is nice, however your question was never really answered.

You might get a SCUBAPro Mk1, never used, in the original box (I did) or you might get a rechargeable light with a charger that burst into flames and nearly burned the house down(I did).

A regulator might be almost perfect, except for several dives in cholera-contaminated sewage.

The answer is "nobody knows" except maybe the seller and you only know what he tells you. Also, some sales are complete scams, and never ship anything.

"You pays your money and takes your chances"

Terry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom