Eating a cuda?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubazachary

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
My question is it ok to eat barracuda? I have been told about the Dinoflagellates from them eating reef fish that eat certain corals. I was also told that since I’m in GA we don’t have that kind of coral, any hints on cooking it. I cut it in half to fit it in the cooler and it looks just like grouper really white and clean, so it should be worth a try. Any ideas?

I've tried it in a restaurant. sorta ok. but not great to order again.

I've also been told they have a high mercury content, especially in the Bahamas. not sure if this is true or not.

the one i got was small, just under than 3 ft, that should limit the toxins, i think

Groupers also eat fish that feed on coral.....as with any large predatory fish (grouper, pompano, permit, cuda, mahi, jacks, even hogfish...), there is risk of cig. However, cudas under 3-4ft are too young to accumulate the toxin, and are delicious - just as good as grouper.

I wouldn't eat them from the keys or bahamas, but anywhere else they should be good to go as long as under 3-4ft.

The only fish that will have cig, virtually every time and regardless of size, is yellowfin grouper from the bahamas.

thats what i was thinking. thanks for the info

I get them out of the Northern Gulf and havent had any issues yet. I would defianetly go after the smaller ones though. I usually cut as much of the red meat out as possible. Cut it into small pieces. Soak them in some buttermilk or milk in the refrigerator for about an hour batter em up and deep fry them babies for 4-5 minutes and damn I love it!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom