@Survivor Man

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Markho71

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Les Stroud,

Ok ... I can't even wait till the Surviving Sharks episode is over. The photo-shopping (ie the purple/blue filter in some frames) and the 12:00 PM sunlight penetrating the surface sold you out on the "night dive" with white sharks as they attacked the chumcicle.

I've actually learned some things from Les on the Survivor Man series. But it looks like he's sold out to Discovery Channel and a top rated scuba mfg. for the footage on Shark Week.

Looking forward to a response from Les!

Discovery is sending out pretty hypocritical messages about Sharks. Les does his show about the most dangerous shark infested waters and then tonight I see a commercial about saving sharks from shark fining. Seems like they are only perpetuating the fear people have about sharks and then oh by the way, we need to save them when the average person watching is thinking "I can't go swimming in Florida anymore".

I was waiting for Les to hop in the deep white shark infested water to display his flag but instead he put it on seal island. Chicken. Discovery's claim was "all new shark week". I think there were maybe 4 new shows total this year, all the rest reruns. We also watched that Matt Vs. Shark show and I found him to be even more of an idiot. We laughed when his inflatable pool boat was popped by the Mako shark, hoped he was going to go down with the ship and see what the shark did to him then. Some of the stupidest things I have ever seen on that show.

From what Ive heard about the shark week during the past few days, Im glad I havent watched any TV this week..

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
That's all it is. How can we get the best rating, what will help sell more ad dollars. Does a ecological angle get more views or does the "adventure" angle? It's a public company, gotta keep those shareholders happy. It's a soft market right now for corporate vice presidents, they want to keep the jobs they have. LoL

I wrote a letter to Discovery last year after shark week, for what that's worth. But I won't watch that programming any more. For every well done, even handed show where they say that you should respect, have a healthy fear because you are in their world image, they have 10 images of some person being ripped to pieces by a mindless killer. All the 5 sec speaches about the reality can't undo the message those images show. They want to do dash for cash and ratings, fine that's what the free market is about, but this running a 5 sec blurb every hour and pretending that makes it all OK is hypocritical at the very least, kinda like these crime shows where you see the cop drag the guy down in the street after a long chase then at the end they show some little blurb that all suspects are innocent until proven guilty in court.

I was watching the regurgitated shark-week crap until that Les Stroud garbage came on. I don't remember how far I got into that show, but I finally changed the channel in disgust and haven't turned it back yet.

Shark week really is a steaming pile of crap and only seems to get worse. They should just spend a week showing the "Seas of life" series.

used to watch Survivorman, and had a lot of respect for him on that show. Don't anymore, after watching the Deadly Waters show. One of the things that pissed me off: "oh, what would happen to a person in these waters? To see what might happen, let's throw in a human-sized.. chumsicle." Really???? I look/smell/taste just like a giant frozen bucket of smelly dead fish that sharks are already "trained" to chase & eat due to shark dive operations constantly baiting them??? Wow! I'd better beware next time I go in the water there!!

*shrug* and this is why my parents are scared when I go diving....

Back
Top Bottom