Jocassee Dive Ramp. Line question ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chimie007

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Last time I dove there (a few weeks ago), I made the circuit (platform, wreck, wing, toilet, bones,etc) and I noticed two lines that I didn't get a chance to check out.

One was starting at the small wreck by the platform. I followed it (eastwise if I recall) until 90' or so with nothing else than more line in sight.

The second line started at some junk big frame near to the skeletons and was heading northwise if I recall. I didn't have time to check it out.

So where are these lines going and to what depth ?

Also, at what depth is the forest starting assuming full pond ?

thanks,
Raphael

I usually enter left of the boat ramp at about waist level in current conditions. I swim down to the frame (your big junk frame) and follow the line down from it. the line to the left is the bones family, to the right is the ski boat and a bit further the plane wing. I usually head deeper to 95' or so and eventually hit the trees as I head down the slope. Please take a heading back to the shore line so that you do not lose your orientation. At 50' there is alos a nice ledge and the shallows are nice.

Haven't tried it this year, but I believe the line that goes east from the ski boat goes to the second dive platform that is more or less in front of the dive ramp (and a bit to the north of it).

The depth at the second platform a few days ago was 32 feet.

Thanks for the reply but I think we are not talking about the same lines. I'm not talking about the lines connecting all the junk together. I did these lines last time, I started at the first platform at the end of the boat ramp. I followed a line to the 2nd platform/boat (35ish), then to a series of stuff deeper stuff (60-70'. wing, toilet, big vertical frame) then the bone family and finally the shallow platform at 20' (just the frame with no wood on top).

One of the line I'm talking about starts at the skiboat and heads east. I doubt it's going to any platform. I followed it to 90' and it kept on going. Looks like it's going to the forest, no?

The second line starts at a large vertical frame that is after the bone family. That line was heading northwise could have been a bit easterly so maybe it's going to the forest also.

diveprof, you said the forest starts at about 95'... that would be with the current lake at about 10' below full pond ? Looks like, I need to get a leaner mix or air in my tanks next time.

thanks

Actually with the lake at full pool, the tops of the trees are shallower. We just dive at 95 -100 (on 32 mix) as the forest is more impressive a bit down the trees than on the tops (the very bottom of the trees is neat to, but lots of potential entaglement stuff - trees down, limbs, former underbrush etc) and it does run a bit deep. I believe that you are right about the line going to the trees, I just take the shortcut to give max time in the trees (head to the trees after leaving the airplane wing. You will see a line running in the trees and it is probably from the one you are talking about. We have seen several cats sitting on the tree limbs that run down the tree if disturbed (like of like squirrells -a bit surreal). I generally use my compass and not the lines.

Actually with the lake at full pool, the tops of the trees are shallower. We just dive at 95 -100 (on 32 mix) as the forest is more impressive a bit down the trees than on the tops (the very bottom of the trees is neat to, but lots of potential entaglement stuff - trees down, limbs, former underbrush etc) and it does run a bit deep.

Great. Looks like parts of the forest are not too deep to do on 32. At least for a first look next time I go. Plus, the lake is about 10-15' below full right now so should be even shallower.

thanks again

One of the line I'm talking about starts at the skiboat and heads east. I doubt it's going to any platform. I followed it to 90' and it kept on going. Looks like it's going to the forest, no?

I followed the line today that goes east from the ski-boat that is near the Bones Family. The line ends at the second dive platform, the same as it always has.

However, it does intersect with another line (before it reaches the platform) that goes generally northeast, and this line probably goes down to the trees.

I followed the line today that goes east from the ski-boat that is near the Bones Family.

Now you got me confused. "My" ski-boat is not near the Bone Family unless we are talking about another family or another boat. The only boat I saw was next to the 30'ish platform (2nd platform straight off the ramp) and had a wheel chair in it. The bonefamily is east of the shallow 15-20' platform (the one north of boat ramp that is missing the top), no ? The line connecting that platform with the bone family is a big line (not cave line).

What depth was the "second dive platform" you are talking about ? As I said earlier I followed the line starting at the ski boat (45' ish depth) going eastwise and getting deep quick to 90' or so with nothing in sight.

Dove the trees Saturday - Nice. One of the lines runs from the ski boat near the bones family (this ski boat is located about 20-25' from the bones family towards the boat ramp at the same depth as the bones family) back towards the platform. As I've said earlier, I do not generally use the lines. I do take a compass heading before entering the water towards the "deep end of the pool" (90 degrees from the shore line/left of the ramp). The reciprocal gets you back to shore. I general visit the bones, ski boat and continue on to the plane wing then follow the slope downward to the trees (hit them at about 95').

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom