Multi tool for dive knife?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aigtbootbp

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Anyone use a multi tool (leatherman, gerber, etc.) as a dive knife? I figure the main use is cutting yourself free from lines and stuff. A folding multi tool can cut both mono (knife blade) or light wire/cable (wire cutters in jaws) not to mention all the other tools available. Most can be had in stainless so that takes care of most of your corrosion troubles. The only shortcoming would be in using it as a pry bar.
Oh yeah, they are small, can fit in a pocket and most have a lanyard ring to tie it off to something.
So, what does everyone else think?

Last edited:
Ever tryed to get the knife out with 5mm gloves on.:rofl4:
No imo not very practical and I don't think most if all are made from marine grade SS.
So rust would be the next problem,diving saltwater.

I don't know about the Leatherman. The Gerber won't cut it. I had it on a sailboat for a year or so. Despite being stainless, it didn't hold up well. I can image what kind of problems it would have being submerged.

You also have to make sure that the model you get has a lanyard provision. Not all of them do.

I understand the trouble with wearing gloves but how about warm water? as for corrosion, a simple rinse afterwards should take care of that.

I think it would be really clumsy to use as a dive knife even with out gloves. I could see carrying one in addition to other cutting tools for the use of the pliers but I would not carry one as my only knife/tool.

Even without gloves on, it's extremely difficult trying to get one of those blades out and then you gotta watch yourself or otherwise ending up cutting your fingers off when you try to fold the blades up.

I thought about it briefly, but ended up getting EMT sheers.. I'm glad I did, as I've already used them to get out of a jumble of mono-filament in 1-2 ft of vis at the bottom of a cold lake, with thick dry gloves on.. :)
I think the EMT sheers would cut through far more than a multi-tool.. Plus, if I lost a multi-tool, I'd be more bummed than if I dropped a pair of $5 sheers.

A Gerber I had when I was in the army was my first dive knife and it didn't even hold up well in fresh water, and I never attempted salt water. It lasted for about 3 months before it rusted enough I couldn't even get the blades out. I found it was more useful to carry a multitool in my dive bag for use at the surface, and shears (found a pair that were titanium coated for $2 at my local surplus store).

Not all stainless steels are the same, and my opinion is that since titanium knives are available and not extremely expensive (a decent titanium knife is about the same price as a really good SS knife and actually cheaper than many of the multitools on the market) you may as well avoid the hassle of having what amounts to just a useless piece of rusted steel in your pocket.

Back
Top Bottom