Destin with ScubaTech 8/22 and 8/23

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AuburnFan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So im going to be making my first saltwater dives in 2 weeks and I'm really looking forward to it. What should i expect from the Gulf? The only exposure suit i have is a full body 3mm, is this to much for the summer months? What about extra weight. I know i need more but how much?

Its cool at depth so the 3mm will be fine.

Its cool at depth so the 3mm will be fine.

Thats what i was thinking but wasn't sure. Thanks.

Yeah its nice and warm on the surface but there is a thermocline and it gets cool after that.

How much weight do you wear in freshwater? I'd say throw atleast an extra 2#s on for every 6-7#s in freshwater you use.

I dove the Navy Dive Tenders (Pensacola) last weekend. Should be about the same conditions as Destin, I would think. Bottom temp was right at 72, 85 at the surface. I wore no wetsuit at all and was comfortable. I went down with 12 lbs. There were about 10 barracuda between the 2 wrecks - scary looking fish! :scared:

I dove the Navy Dive Tenders (Pensacola) last weekend. Should be about the same conditions as Destin, I would think. Bottom temp was right at 72, 85 at the surface. I wore no wetsuit at all and was comfortable. I went down with 12 lbs. There were about 10 barracuda between the 2 wrecks - scary looking fish! :scared:

You mean these guys?

barracuda1.jpg

Just remember that if you are seeing them, there are no sharks around...I've learned to like them.

By the time our op is down, the water may be warm all the way to the bottom... lets hope.. would like to get out of my 5mm..

How much weight do you wear in freshwater? I'd say throw atleast an extra 2#s on for every 6-7#s in freshwater you use.

Well with the 3mm suit and an AL80 i use 12#'s. So your saying add 4 pounds and i should be good?

I dove this weekend with a 3mm shorty, an Al80 and wore 16 lbs and was perfect. Remember to bring gloves!

Well with the 3mm suit and an AL80 i use 12#'s. So your saying add 4 pounds and i should be good?

Yeah, that'd be a good place to start! Maybe take an extra 2#s to leave on the boat, just in case.

Back
Top Bottom