24 months Warranty

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

uncle.A

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi everyone,
This week I have bought my first scuba equipment. At the store I was advised to get Blizzard regulator. However, I have been browsing other regulators and I have noticed that all of them have lifetime warranty vs 24 months from Sherwood. Do you think I should keep it or return and go for something with better warranty?

Regards,
Andy

I can't think of anything more useless than a lifetime warranty on a quality regulator. It primarily serves to jack up the retail price and to keep you paying for mostly unnecessary annual service. If you are otherwise happy with the regulator, keep it.

Keep the Blizzard. I know a LOT of people who have been using the Blizzard for years without any trouble. I purchased a Blizzard based on the opinion and experience of all the people at my LDS.

The warrantee is probably a LIMITED life time warrantee. The warrantee is only good if you expect the regulator to fail. In which case, why would you buy it?

The two year warranty on the Sherwood Blizzard relates to free service kits. Sherwood warranties the regulator against defects for as long as you own it. You get free service kits for the first two services on your new regulator. Congratulations on a good choice.

Hey Andy
Post some more info to your profile so we can get to know you better.

I recently acquired a 20+ year-old ?? (not exactly sure) Blizzard. And we just had to basically dust it off, change a few o-rings and put it back into service. They are really simple in design and get the job done. We have a few club members that dive vintage gear here and the Blizzard fit right in. They are pretty bullet proof! :wink:

will do sibermike7, thanks for all recommendations :)
Since we at it, what do you guys think of annual servicing of the regulator? Is it necessary or just wasting time/money?

will do sibermike7, thanks for all recommendations :)
Since we at it, what do you guys think of annual servicing of the regulator? Is it necessary or just wasting time/money?

Depends on how you use it. If you do proper maintenance and care for your regulator then it is less important. For me, I dive from April/May to October. For the months between November to March it is usually not used at all. For this reason I'll get it services in March (just before the dive season) just to be sure it is working okay.

The other thing is that parts will wear out, rubber will need to be replaced, etc. You might need something replaced 4 years from now or it might be 7 years from now. Because there is no way to know for sure, you want someone to look at it annually. A lot of the times they'll just be noting that everything is fine and charge you for the labour.

The people who drag their regulator through the mud, don't rinse it after a salt water dive, etc. are typically the sort of person who thinks getting a regulator serviced is a waste of money.

Additionally, some people will do the basic checks on their regulators and only get it serviced when they think it needs it. It is sort of like, some people will have their car serviced at exactly the mileage indicated in the owner's manual but other people will check the oil viscosity and have it changed when they think it looks like it needs it. This depends on what you are comfortable with.

It is actually about risk management. If you don't get it serviced annually, you are accepting a certain level of risk in order to save a little money. You should remember, you're accepting risk for you and your buddy. Your regulator failure means his backup air source is at risk.

Last edited:
absolutely necessary, for your safety and to maintain the warranty

It is necessary for the warranty. This is true. If you don't have a record of it being serviced by an authorized service centre, it will void the warranty.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom