Ikelite housing maintenance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba Martin

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Hi

My Ikelite housing for my Canon G9 is having a little problem with the buttons.

It seems that there is a slight bit of green corrotion of some kind on the metal, and it makes some of the buttons stick and not move properly.

Does anyone have some tips on how to maintain these and make them move properly again.

Thank you :lotsalove:

I just sent my Ikelite housing to them for maintenance. $125 and it was cleaned, new control button packings, new control buttons if needed, new main body Oring and pressure tested. Worth every penny!

I always rinse my housing after every dive and use mild soap (I use Dove) mixed with water after every trip, pushing every button while submerging the housing. Preventive maintenance is the key to maximizing the life of your housing.

I'm not sure if a mild soap solution can fix your problem, but you can try. Some people I know have used vinegar to get rid of minor stickiness in the buttons. Ikelite recommends applying a small amount of silicone grease in the push buttons from outside the housing, and pushing the buttons to allow the grease inside.

Regards,
Norman

Last edited:
Doubler is correct. It is best to service the housing and have all push button shafts replaced and all orings replaced. After every dive you should work controls and push buttons in rinse tank and then remove and store in appropriate place. Most floods happen in the rinse tank!

We recommend returning your housing for factory service every 1-3 years, depending on care and use. Our general service procedure includes replacement of all seals, full testing of controls and electronics (if applicable) and water pressure test. Maintenance service for housings is a flat rate depending on style ranging between $100 to $125 plus return freight. Any repairs required will be charged in addition to the general service fee.

Service can be completed in approximately 2-3 weeks not including transit time. Please plan ahead if you are returning your housing for service before an upcoming dive vacation. We strive to get every repair back in a timely manner, but unexpected problems may arise. Always reference the date of your upcoming departure in your return cover letter so that we can plan to return your equipment in time.

Regards, Rhonda/Ikelite

If you are in a pinch and don't have time to send back your housing, Ikelite has a rebuild kit for your buttons (includes o-rings, washers, springs, and e-clips). My buttons were corroded too. I went to home depot and got a ryobi buffer wheel and some polishing compound for my drill and hand polished the buttons to remove the corrosion and rebuilt them with the Ikelite kit. Most importantly, do a flood test in a pool and ocean, to make sure you installed the rebuild kit correctly. When I get back I definitely need to send it back, but at least you have an option if you don't have time on your hands. Good luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom