Lake Thurmond/ Clark Hill- Finally Vis!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diveprof

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Yes! We have vis again! We had 10-15' (more in spots on todays dives at Clark Hill/Lake Thurmond. The 80 and 100' wall are not clear yet, but the diving down to 60' is great. Lots of fish life today on the rocks. Had 10-12' on the plane. It is about time things started clearing up. In the 25-40' range the vis was 15'+. Dang and I just made plans to drive all the way to Jocassee again next weekend. We may even be able to dive the river as it is clearing up too. Plan to look at the river this afternoon. If it is clear we will dive this tomorrow at 1p, if not we will be very happy at the lake.

Man that is great news. I might have to head that way next week for a party at the plane.

Yeah, vis begins to return and what do I do, plan an out of town dive trip. Several of us ae heading to jocassee next Sat. We plan to do three dives: one shore dive then two dives with Bill's boat. Send a pm if you would like tof join us.

Sunday's dives were also nice. Less vis up top though (8' vis to 20'), but stuff b/w 25-55' was 15'+ vis. Lots of divers in the water (maybe way vis was lower shallow. Nice fish life.

Alright diveprof, you've inspired me to take another dive before going back up to Nashville (and being beginning my three month fall surface interval...).

Also, have you run into a road sign out there? I went on the July West Palm trip with Neptune and some of the newly-certified divers said during their checkout they saw somebody hauling a big sign out into the lake.

I'm heading out Tuesday morning with a friend, will be sure to post afterward.

Alright diveprof, you've inspired me to take another dive before going back up to Nashville (and being beginning my three month fall surface interval...).

Also, have you run into a road sign out there? I went on the July West Palm trip with Neptune and some of the newly-certified divers said during their checkout they saw somebody hauling a big sign out into the lake.

I'm heading out Tuesday morning with a friend, will be sure to post afterward.

Have not seen the sign. Vis was very good yesterday 8' on the rocks, but 15'+ on the plane and b/w 27-60'.

Finished up our dives today, both were great dives. Vis is much better then I'd seen it earlier this summer, I could actually see the line for the BC course as I went through the hoops.

Per diveprof's suggestion we stayed shallow (30-60 ffw) for the dives today.

Dive 1 (max depth 37 fsw(forgot to adjust computer) for 50 minutes: Started as soon as the water got to about seven feet deep. Took a nice slow swim along the rocks on the dam (that my buddy and I now refer to as the Clark Hill artificial reef system...) Took the rope to the plane. Took some time enjoying the great view of the plane and generally being stupid. Found some cool little pirate flags with weights on them that we put on top of the plane. Vis on the plane was the best I've ever seen it (in my extensive one year diving history....). Followed the BC course to the ski boat. From ski boat took the short swim to the 40' ledge. Swam along the ledge for about ten minutes, did an about face and went back to ski boat, BC course, then plane. At the plane we still had plenty of air, so we followed line to shore and went along the rocks of the dam toward GA for a while to observe some more marine life. After another ten minutes or so did an about face and headed along the rocks making a nice long safety swim back to the parking lot.

Lunch Break!

Dive 2 (max depth 55 fsw for 53 minutes): Plan was to start like the other dive, get to plane, take the 25 degree compass heading to the 3 big rocks. From 3 big rocks go to pool filters and the 35'-40' ledge. Then maybe go on to the 55'-64' ledge and big stump.

What actually happened: Swam out to plane (again nice slow swim along rocks), from plane nose followed a 25 degree heading using my terrible navigation skills. Crossed over line to the missile and managed to land about six feet west of the 3 big rocks. After doing a celebration dance that I managed to use a compass to find something, we continued moving at our 25 degree heading in hopes of reaching the pool filters (realized later this was not the correct navigation to get to pool filters). Ended up taking us a bit deeper and ran across a ledge at about the 50' level, not sure what feature this is on the map. At this point (about 30 minutes in) decided to head shallower and south (back to dam rocks), then back to plane so that we could play around on the BC course some more. Ran the BC course again, ski boat, BC course, plane, and then took our slow swim back to the parking lot.

Overall two very enjoyable dives. Although I screwed up the navigation to the pool filters, I was quite happy to make it to the 3 big rocks having never used compass navigation on a dive before.

You're exactly right about the vis though, at 25 feet I was wondering if this was gonna be another "if you can't feel your buddy you're not close enough" dive, but by 30 feet the vis was great!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom