Motorcycle or SCUBA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Markho71

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Ok, what's the safest hobby? Motorcycle or SCUBA? I have an opportunity to trade my boat for a Harley.

scuba.

If your only criterion for making the decision is safety, trade your boat in for a sewing machine. Sewing is quite safe. I don't even understand the idea of motorcycling as a hobby (unless people use Harleys in motocross these days). It sounds more like transportation to me.

interesting question.

I do both....

considering the bs MC riders have to deal with (cagers), I'd have to say that SCUBA is safer.

scuba, you dont have to buy a truck to pick up your scuba gear when it breaks down

Hmm, a Harley you say... Well, there were over 5000 motorcycle deaths in the US last year.

Over the years 1992 to 2003 there were 947 US & Canadian diver deaths. Insufficient air or entrapment were the most common triggering events. That's from the DAN publication, Alert Diver, July/August issue of this year.

I think diving gives you more control. I can plan my dive so that I don't run out of air. I can stay out of places with overheads or carry a cutting tool to get free of entanglements. How do you prevent someone from pulling out in front of you?

Scuba diving is WAY safer than motorcycling. Less outside threats and most people don't solo dive, providing another head to clear up any problems that may be encountered.

Granted, I still ride my motorcycle every day as a commuter. But if I could scuba dive to work that would be awesome!!!!!!

Peace,
Greg

Ok, what's the safest hobby? Motorcycle or SCUBA? I have an opportunity to trade my boat for a Harley.

The boat is way more dangerous than any Harley. You might get all sorts of nasty stuff:doctor:from drunk chicks:gorgeous:.

Easier to do this on a boat than any Harley.

See:shocked:?

In terms of miles :goingdown: covered (distance travelled), I think motorcycling is waaaaay safer.

scuba for sure

motorcycles are an accident waiting to happen

(i ride)

b3.jpg

I did a quick search (every ambulance chaser in Miami came up) and came up with this chart that equates the risk of various activities by annual mortality rate.

newcombe1.gif

From a risk perspective, you can continue scuba diving and get a motorcycle if you stop sniffing glue. Everything in life is a trade-off. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom