What's the least expensive Carribean destination

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dlwalke

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've been to Dominica and really enjoyed it, particularly insofar as I was paying about $15/night for a room. I need another one of those destinations. I have some interest in Tobago, but haven't found any info on budget traveler accomodations. Any other ideas? (I was going to take a car trip this summer up through the Carolinas, but I think my car is entering its final few months, so I'm now considering a Carribean trip).

Thanks for any info/advice.
Dave

Can do Utila in the Honduras & Bimini in the Bahamas pretty cheaply if you do your homework.

If by any chance you'd consider a liveaboard, Blackbeard's Cruises are a super value.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

Depending on where you're coming from, CZM can be a dirt cheap getaway at times.

I found a deal the other day(flying out of Dallas) to CZM, for staying at Fiesta Americana for three nites, airfare and hotel, for.....$269.00 p/person!!!...that's a steal! There are also some good deals on longer stays.

I would have booked it myself but we're trying to save our pennies to go to Grand Cayman...which is DEFINITELY NOT the cheapest Carribean vacation.

I have free airfare priv where I will be working.

I'd love to hear a cheap / safe place to stay eat and dive in CZM. Thinking about weekend gettaway trips where I fly in Friday night do 3-4 dives on saturday and fly back on Sunday.

(I'll be in Houston so I dont mind flying down for just 1 dive day )

chrpai once bubbled...
fly in Friday night do 3-4 dives on saturday and fly back on Sunday.

Unless your return flight is late Sunday night you should seriously reconsider flying so soon after making 3-4 dives in one day. It's not worth getting bent on the plane.

-Klaus

Doc, do you have any particular places you like to stay and dive with in Bimini?

This island is very inexpensive and the diving was great. Seems like many US citizens avoid this island as it is part of Colombia. We were also apprehensive, but when we investigated, it was safe and is listed as a safe destination (by Canadian and US authorities).

Maybe give it a try.

klausbh once bubbled...

Unless your return flight is late Sunday night you should seriously reconsider flying so soon after making 3-4 dives in one day. It's not worth getting bent on the plane.
-Klaus

Why? I'm not doing multiple daily dives for multple days. Were just talking about 3 or 4 dives ( probably all shallow and on Nitrox ) over the course of 1 day. Even if my 4th dive is over at 6pm that still gives me 18 hours to off gas. Thats well beyong the 6 hours it takes to go from a Z pressure group to an A pressure group on the DSAT tables and well beyond the reccomendation of 12 hours.

Now does anyone have advice on where to stay and dive for cheap ( and safe ) in Cozumel?

Run a search for accomodations to find out which hotels are the cheaper ones. You'll probably want to pick one closer to town. Our last time down, we stayed at Casa Del Mar. It was part of a package but you can contact the hotel their website for rates and for dealing directly with the hotel. It's not a great place but it ain't that bad either. I believe it's rates are decent. Papa Hogs is close to the hotel. They are an alright operation. Alot of people rave about them, but I wasn't as impressed with them as everyone else seems to have been. There boats show some wear and tear and the smaller boats can be a little tough getting back into. Also they didn't seem to be as organized as they could have been. Their DM's are really good though, and will give you a little freedom once they are comfortable with your skills.

If you go, you gotta hit Palancar Reef or Columbia Reef (deep, not the shallows), they absolutely ROCK!

Aren't you moving to Houston for a spell? If so, you'll have to hook up with the Southern Swampdivers while you're down there. Maybe we can plan a group dive at Lk. Travis in Austin one weekend.

chrpai once bubbled...
Why? I'm not doing multiple daily dives for multple days. Were just talking about 3 or 4 dives ( probably all shallow and on Nitrox ) over the course of 1 day. Even if my 4th dive is over at 6pm that still gives me 18 hours to off gas. Thats well beyong the 6 hours it takes to go from a Z pressure group to an A pressure group on the DSAT tables and well beyond the reccomendation of 12 hours.

According to current DAN guidelines, 18 hours is the MINIMUM suggested preflight surface interval after a multi-dive day. So you should be fine.

https://www.diversalertnetwork.org/news/article.asp?newsid=258

I'm probably just jealous ...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom