HELP Problem getting into (out of) new suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AquaPixie

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Farmington Hills, MI --> Weeki Wachee, FL
# of dives
500 - 999
Ok I know this is weird but does anyone have any tips on how to get into and out of a Henderson Insta Dry suit?:confused:

I previously dove a O'Neill which was very easy to don and doff, but this insta-dry sticks to me like sticky tape:shakehead: I tried using a lycra skin hoping it would 'Glide' on but nope, still sticky :depressed:

Any tips would be helpful before I end up selling the dang thing and going back to an O'Neill :cool2:

Make sure your skin is bone dry, and it slides on like teflon. If you're damp, it sticks like velcro.

Flipping it inside out and using a spray bottle of hair conditioner/water mix will make it slide on so easily that it's oddly obscene, too.

JamesSpraysLotionMix.jpg

Once you get it on, you'll find that the "skin-in" makes for a great seal and reduces water flow (which makes it warmer).

All the best, James

Wife & I dive Goldcores - similar inside. We use a 50/50 dilution of baby shampoo in a squirt bottle. A few squirts on your arms and legs (hit the heals) and some more squirted into the suit and it slips on OK.

The conditioner/water mix is the absolute best way to get into a damp wetsuit (or one when you are sweaty). Put about 1/3 conditioner and 2/3 water into a spray bottle, mix it up, spray on the inside of your suit, and slide right in....donning the suit will take seconds and eliminate the fighting!

Make sure your skin is bone dry, and it slides on like teflon. If you're damp, it sticks like velcro

Thanks I'll give that a try cause in Florida there is no such thing as 'bone dry' skin :)

Two tricks. One is completely immersing the suit in water, pulling it out of the bucket (or whatever), and immediately donning the suit. Believe me, it will slide on very easily indeed. InstaDry cuffs tend to be a little unforgiving, so a little baby shampoo or even drug-store brand lubricant comes in very handy (it's also a great excuse to stand on line clutching bottles of lubricant and batteries for your flashlights, fielding disapproving sideways glances from other store patrons and reveling in their discomfort as you talk loudly about 'what a great weekend it's going to be'. Yes, it's diving, but they don't have to know that.). Wearing a lycra skin underneath works for me, too...sorry to hear it wasn't the solution you were looking for. But no matter...please try the complete water dunk, as I've never had an easier time donning a suit.

I just got myself an Instadry also, and as it's all smoothskin rubber on the inside, it's a pain to get into! Pulls the hairs out of my legs!
The possible solution is to wear a tight fitting skin suit under it to allow you to easily slide in, but that is extra gear, extra suit to rinse, etc..
Another option is to get a very generous quantity of water based lubricant, which should do the job without causing any harm to the suit.
The great thing about the Instadry is that is lets very little water seep in, probably because it's such an intimate contact with your skin.
My summary...once you get over the battle of getting the suit on...it's great, warm and flexible and comfortable.

by the way ...does anyone know why Hendersons apparently stopped making the Instadry...it's not on their website anymore

by the way ...does anyone know why Hendersons apparently stopped making the Instadry...it's not on their website anymore

Probably durability - mine fell apart after 30-+ dives :depressed:. And I heard the same complaint from others.

But I loved it while it lasted. A great way to get in the suit is to just climb into the water at the dock and pull it on or go under the shower to dress.

According to Henderson either make sure that you and the suit are either both completely dry (as stated above) or both soaking wet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom