purge valves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

goldentouch

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I have never even tried a mask with a purge valve.... is it easy to get water out of the nose area? I get so anxious with water near my nose...:confused: I have been diving for only a year. Thanks to everyone that gave me leaky mask suggestions...but wouldn't a purse valve work for me?

I like my mask with a purge valve - it is easier to clear and water doesn't seem to accumulate in the nose area. If water gets in, I can usually clear it without using my hands. But, I don't really have flooding problems when using masks without purges, so maybe I'm just lucky and I've found masks that fit well.

As with most discussions of equipment on ScubaBoard, I suspect you will get responses ranging from "they're great" to "they're evil and could kill you and and if you were a better diver you wouldn't need one." Try one and see if you like it.

I am not an expert or even that experienced but.........
I have the same issue with water in my nose. I have used the same mask with a purge valve for 5 years (have had it for 6 years but did not get a chance to dive 1 year) snorkeling and diving now and do not have any major issues with it (I also have a full mustache so I get some leaking from that). It does create a pressure point below the nose because of the way it is constructed. My wife also has the same mask and has used it for 6 years. Of course my teenage son destroyed his the second year and had to get a new mask.....
It is easy to purge the water after you learn the correct position to get the water in the right spot. Major downside is that it does tend to fog more for me than a mask without a purge.

That's interesting - my purge mask fogs less than other masks I've used.

OK that is interesting. Mine tends to fog more at real shallow depths for some reason. Anything below 30 feet and I don't notice it much. The purge does make it real easy to partially flood and clear when it does fog.

Of course I know I am a nose breather so maybe that is part of it?

I kinda wish I did not have a purge valve in my mask. I never felt it trying it on at my LDS but after hours in the pool for open water class, and after 45+ minuet dives, the purge valve hurts my nose.

Also I seem to blow snot in it every time I try to use it, so after the dive I have to use a tooth pick or Q-tip to dig a bugger out from under the valve flap.

I was not allowed to use it during OW classes, so I learned the standard clearing method and still use that as my main way of clearing.

Purge masks can:

1. Make it more difficult to equalize due to the rigid housing at the bottom of the nose cup.

2. As stated before, press against or abrade your nose.

3. Malfunction because of the purge valve disk. Why do you think they sell spare disks. Will you be able to get one when you need it. A perfect example of Murphy's Law.

Purge valves are ok for snorkling, but not for diving. Many students have had to replace their purge masks in the middle of a OW training dive for any of the above reasons.

When I was going through OW our LDS had us try a bunch of different gear, and several of us noticed (as themons mentioned) that it seemed harder to equalize with a purge mask. Also as others have mentioned with that purge valve you are adding another point of potential gear failure, something you should probably be minimizing when you are just starting out.

goldentouch:
I get so anxious with water near my nose

The problem isn't purge or no purge, it's the fact you are anxious with water near your nose. Solve that problem and spending money on a mask become unnecessary. Having worked with lots of folks with similar issues, I know you can beat this. You need to accomplish two things. Become comfortable with no mask breathing and clear your mask easily. There's a proven method for accomplishing this.

Often, important skills are left out of OW classes. Take your time and practice each step until you are comfortable before moving to the next.

Leave your SCUBA gear in your bag. You only need 3 things at the pool at this point. 1. Mask 2. Snorkel 3. Weight belt with weight.

At no point will you leave the shallow end of the pool.

Take your snorkel off your mask and put on your weight belt. With your mask on the pool deck, your snorkel in your hand and your weight belt on, get into the shallow end of the pool. You should be where when you stand you are no deeper than chest deep, waist deep is even better. Put your snorkel in your mouth and breathe from it. Now, bend over and breathe through your snorkel while you dip your face into the water. If you are comfortable, stay awhile until you feel natural. If you have difficulty, think about drinking through a straw while you practice the excercise. Remember, you can always stand up straight to end the excercise at any time. If you need to, you can slowly build up your time until you feel comfortable.

Next, practice dropping underwater, allowing the snorkel to flood and coming up to blast it clear, leaving your face in the water. Continue until you are comfortable

At this point, you have accomplished three important things.

1. You lowered your anxiety level by working in a no risk (shallow) environment.
2. You became an expert in no mask breathing.
3. You know you can breathe with a flooded mask.

Now, put your snorkel down and pick up your mask. Put it on and drop down to your knees. Break the seal just enough to allow a small amount of water in. Clear the mask. Do not pull out on the bottom, merely push in on the top while looking up. The biggest mistake most people make is not looking up. The second most common mistake people make is not exhaling through their nose. Keep your mouth closed. Repeat this until you are comfortable. Don't forget to stand up and catch your breath between clearings. Now, increase the amount of water you allow into the mask to about ¼ flooded. When you are comfortable with that level, move to ½, then to a fully flooded mask. When you've reached the point you can clear it easily every time, see how many times you can clear it on one breath. After you are at this point, clearing your mask will be easy. You will have reached it in a step by step manner that was easy to accomplish.

Remember, you can always stand up if you feel uncomfortable.

I will practice just like you recommended this week-end at the cottage. I have been diving for a year and have been up to 80 feet....but am so frightened that I will breath water in through my nose without thinking that I worry most of my time in the water. I am certain your practice techniques will be just the ticket! Thanks so much!!!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom