Should I be concerned?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rhigh

Registered
Reaction score
On a recent dive I missed the reef I was looking for. Came up had the boat take me back for another drop found the reef and had a nice dive.
When I downloaded my dives from my Wisdom the dive details don't show the short surface interval. Should I be concerned that my computer is not giving accurate information?

With my computer I can surface for four or five minutes and then decend and it resumes the dive instead of starting a new dive. It won't show a surface interval.

With my computer I can surface for four or five minutes and then decend and it resumes the dive instead of starting a new dive. It won't show a surface interval.

yep, same here.

a quick look at the manual should confirm such with yours :wink:

I understand that it won't be a new dive. With the sample rate set at 15 seconds, it does not show the time at the surface. At minute 0:10:15 it shows a depth of 6 feet, at minute 0:10:45 it shows 16 feet. See attached.
Thanks

Attachments

• Sherwood Computer Interface.pdf
    36.1 KB · Views: 88
So split the profile. It's obvious where you were at the surface.

I use Dive Log 4.0 and it can merge or split profiles.

I did my Rescue Diver course with the Wisdom 2. The Rescue Diver course has you going up and down a LOT. Just as I get the 'victim' to shore and EMS on the way (seconds) the instructor would declare another victim and we'd be back in the water. There were numerous short surface intervals and only the occasional few minutes at depth (25') searching for the 'victim'. Rather than showing a number of 3 minute dives I think it did something similar to what you had, except mine was up/down/up/down/up/down. I got out of the water a dozen times, i.e. a dozen 'dives', but it only showed 2 or 3 dives.

Bottom line, if you are out of the water for a short enough interval they assume you haven't had enough time to off gas anything measurable so they might as well assume you never quit diving.

Why did it say you were at 6'? I believe 6' is the point the computer commits to your diving being a dive. That is, if you go to 5' then get out of the water your computer will not register it. The programmer probably put something in the code that assumes you were always at 6' or deeper for a dive and it affected, wrongly, your situation. In other words, who every programmed the Wisdom didn't consider your dive profile.

Regardless, not crediting you for the short surface interval is safer than treating it as two separate dives.

I believe that you have to have a Surface Interval of 10 Min before the computer will call it a new dive.

Ty Hoeffer

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom