Key Largo - Big Boats

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rescue Diver68

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I will be returning to Key Largo in December. I hope you all can name the dive ops with bigger boats since the weather is always "iffie" that time of year. I know Conch Republic is great and has the big RD but I will be staying farther north and won't be travelling the 13 miles to CR this time (maybe).

Horizon Divers has taken us out to Molasses Reef for decent dives in January amidst fairly heavy seas when few other boats have been willing to leave the dock. My stomach has suffered mightily, but that is another story. I should add that under those circumstances, my wife and I plus one other constituted the divers for that morning. Had that nice big boat to ourselves.

Smart man :wink:

Ocean Divers and Horizon Divers have bigger boats. Horizon Divers' boat is a 46' Corinthian catamaran and they have good pricing on continuous blend nitrox.

Several ops have the 46' Corinthian catamaran: Horizon Divers, It's a Dive (Marriott), and Amoray but I too recommend my friends over at Horizon Divers as a top notch experienced operation. At capacity of about 34 divers those boats are cattleboats when full, but usually in the winter months they are not that full and quite roomy.

Have blast on your trip.

Several ops have the 46' Corinthian catamaran: Horizon Divers, It's a Dive (Marriott), and Amoray but I too recommend my friends over at Horizon Divers as a top notch experienced operation. At capacity of about 34 divers those boats are cattleboats when full, but usually in the winter months they are not that full and quite roomy.

Have blast on your trip.

However,,,,, It's A Dive and Amoray are both bayside and have to transit the Adams Canal Cut and then weave through Pennecamp which can cut into your bottom time since they usually have schedule to keep. For me, it's all about the BT :)

Horizon has a six or seven minute idle out of Port Largo Canal and then they are in open water.

I have been out with Amoray many times and have not really experienced short bottom times due to their bay side placement. If that is a concern an afternoon dive with them is less likely to be a problem as they don't have a time schedule to comply with. I have heard good things about Horizon Divers but I have no first hand experience to report.

Thank you all! I'll check out Horizon Divers and Ocean Divers. I didn't like the catamaran at Its a Dive, mainly because it was overloaded with snorkelers. Great staff though.

Hey Rescue Diver 68,

I've had routinely good experiences with Ocean Divers. Turns out I have dived with them every December since 2004, 5 years. They offer 4 dives per day (weekends and weekdays) in addition to night dives Wed and Sat. I usually fly down on Friday, drive to Key Largo, and then do 11 or 13 dives through Monday morning or afternoon. This allows me to get in 4 wreck dives in addition to the reef and night dives.

They are very reliable and have never cancelled one of my dives due to conditions but occasionally have had to change sites. Their large Newtons are quite stable, even under adverse conditions. There is protected space for even the worst circumstances. They guarantee they will go out with a minimum of 2 divers. I have gone out to the Duane on Sunday afternoon on at least 3 occasions with only one other diver, that's service. The maximum capacity of the boats is somewhere in the low 20's, that does not seem crowded. In December, the number of divers is more usually 8-10, luxurious space.

Personally, I cannot see diving with 30 something divers off the Horizon dive barge. I've seen it many times, particularly in the more seasonable months, and it is not a pretty picture.

Ocean Divers reliably supplies Nitrox 32 at only a $6 upgrade over air, very handy for the dives on the Spiegel and the Duane. They offer a multidive card that I always take advantage of that lowers the daily cost of diving. Their website is very useful and I would encourage you to peruse it DIVE KEY LARGO WITH OCEAN DIVERS - SCUBA diving, snorkeling, PADI diver training, IDC & CDC - Instructor & Career Development Center

The most startling fact of diving in December is the water temperature. Most years, the water temp has been 75-76 degrees. In 2008, the water temp was 73-75 degrees. I was very happy with my 5 mm full suit and hood. This paid particular dividends on the afternoon and night dives.

Best of luck to you on your trip to Key Largo.

Good diving, Craig

Scubadada,
Just curious, but how much your weekend trips to the Keys normally cost (I'm assuming you're driving from Miami). I'm going down to the Keys for a couple of weeks starting 18 Aug through 30 Aug and was just curious how much a weekend trip typically cost vs a big trip like mine (selling my first born might be in order).

Thanks,
Brad

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom