Destin Jetties dive report and pics 8/10/09

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaYoda

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Plans were made to dive with Comp.Air.Junkie on Monday and the weather cooperated for a change! It was a double high tide day so the fear of bad viz was on my mind. As we got to the water it looked a strange green/brown. When we got in it was hot but there was a change in color where the sand drops off. The temp in the shallow area was 89*. There was a thermocline at 6' and temp dropped to a much better 85* with blue water.

d19.jpg

d1.jpg

d2.jpg

There was no current on the two dives until the end of the second. The tide turned and made a slight current to fight until reaching the north side of the jetty. Viz was a hazy 30' through both dives. The south side of the jetty was clearer, like it normally is.

d3.jpg

d4.jpg

d8.jpg

The anchor again is covered with sand.

j4-2.jpg

There was a lot of saw-grass in piles on the bottom - not stirred up because there was no current.

There were lots of toadfish out.

d5.jpg

d9.jpg

Many of the stone crabs were eating a jelly sandwich.

d7.jpg

d10.jpg

I found a new jelly.

d11.jpg

d12.jpg

I'm not sure if this soapfish is full or pregnant?

d15.jpg

There was a grouper with something sticking out of its mouth. I thought it was a lure but closer inspection reveals an interesting "cigar". Wonder what that thing looks like when not being eaten?

gw.jpg

gm.jpg

gc.jpg

There was some crazy fish feast going on among the rocks.

d17.jpg

d18.jpg

A couple of the usuals posed for some pics as well.

d13.jpg

d14.jpg

d16.jpg

d6.jpg

Comp.Air.Junkie said he didn't have any pictures of himself diving - these are for him to share with friends. Thanks for the great dives and pointing out that grouper.

j1-2.jpg

j10-2.jpg

j11-2.jpg

j2-2.jpg

j3-2.jpg

j5-2.jpg

j6-2.jpg

j7-2.jpg

j8-2.jpg

j9-2.jpg

Great photos SY, glad to hear conditions out there were good. Looks like I might be out there on Friday

Things should get even better by then as long as the weather holds. I'll be working so you have a better chance at the weatherman behaving himself! :D

I noticed C.J.A.'s bag of Coors got empty during the dive. Was he throwing the empties out after drinking them?
:D

No shark sightings on Monday. CAJ has to fess up if he was drinking and diving :D.

Great pictures. I'll get there one of these days!

Great pictures. I'll get there one of these days!

Yea, am holding my breath....wait, I tried that and it doesn't work.. never mind.

Yoda, excellent work..well except for over doing the CAJ pictures...will be down this weekend.. you off on Sunday?

I have an new wide angle lens for my camera... so no telling if I will take any pictures worth anything.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom