Classes using dive tables

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bigsnowdog

Contributor
Reaction score
Are there any classes requiring the use of dive tables beyond the basic class and the nitrox class?

I have heard PADI is thinking of dropping dive tables and allowing instruction with computers. Too late for me.

I have no aspiration to be a divemaster or instructor, but would like to take some more classes. I understand the science well, but did not do well with dive tables, and it seems pointless frustration, given the use of computers.

Have I gotten past the dive table requirements in classes?

to my knowledge, the table still stand, the eRDP(ml) replaces the ML Wheel (and the older eRDP)

what part of the tables do you need help with?

Are there any classes requiring the use of dive tables beyond the basic class and the nitrox class?

I have heard PADI is thinking of dropping dive tables and allowing instruction with computers. Too late for me.

I have no aspiration to be a divemaster or instructor, but would like to take some more classes. I understand the science well, but did not do well with dive tables, and it seems pointless frustration, given the use of computers.

Have I gotten past the dive table requirements in classes?

Probaly, but if you plan on diving deeper than 100' someday you will be best served becoming familar with redimentary dive planning. There are several dive planning software programs which will accomplish these tasks but it is also nice having nitrox tables handy for quick refrence when plans change...

to my knowledge, the table still stand, the eRDP(ml) replaces the ML Wheel (and the older eRDP)

what part of the tables do you need help with?

I am fine, thank you, I have passed the classes. I felt I could do the problems, but then when the test questions came, many of them confused me. That is behind me now.

I would just like to avoid them in the future.

Why not learn the tables? Then, you will have the tool in your tool box and they will never cause you frustration or stress again.

I'd be willing to help you.

Or, there is a dated, but excellent book that will walk you through the US Navy Dive Tables. It is called The Decompression Workbook: A Simplified Guide to Understanding Decompression Problems by George S. Lewbel, Ph.D.

The book will walk you through the Navy tables forward, backward, into decompression diving, missed stops, diving at altitude, etc. You'll be an expert at NDL's, pressure groups, repetitive diving, surface intervals, and all you need to know by the time you are done.

The book uses the tables that were current at the time, which employ a 60 ft./min. ascent rate. The depths and times are also more aggressive than many tables today, so you need to be aware that you shouldn't necessarily use them to plan dives, but I haven't encountered a better teaching resource for independent study.

You'll easily be able to pick up the modern US Navy tables and breeze through them after you complete all exercises in Lewbel's tutorial. When you look at PADI tables, they'll even be easier to understand since they provide much more info for their use on the table than the Navy does.

You can purchase The Decompression Workbook at Amazon.

PM me if you want help.

Probaly, but if you plan on diving deeper than 100' someday you will be best served becoming familar with redimentary dive planning. There are several dive planning software programs which will accomplish these tasks but it is also nice having nitrox tables handy for quick refrence when plans change...

It is my understanding that dive computers can be used for planning. Is that not correct?

Of the twenty or so people I know who dive, they all said once they passed the class the never touched a dive table again, and only use computers.

Why not learn the tables? Then, you will have the tool in your tool box and they will never cause you frustration or stress again.

I'd be willing to help you.

Or, there is a dated, but excellent book that will walk you through the US Navy Dive Tables. It is called The Decompression Workbook: A Simplified Guide to Understanding Decompression Problems by George S. Lewbel, Ph.D.

The book will walk you through the Navy tables forward, backward, into decompression diving, missed stops, diving at altitude, etc. You'll be an expert at NDL's, pressure groups, repetitive diving, surface intervals, and all you need to know by the time you are done.

The book uses the tables that were current at the time, which employ a 60 ft./min. ascent rate. The depths and times are also more aggressive than many tables today, so you need to be aware that you shouldn't necessarily use them to plan dives, but I haven't encountered a better teaching resource for independent study.

You'll easily be able to pick up the modern US Navy tables and breeze through them after you complete all exercises in Lewbel's tutorial. When you look at PADI tables, they'll even be easier to understand since they provide much more info for their use on the table than the Navy does.

You can purchase The Decompression Workbook at Amazon.

PM me if you want help.

Thank you for your kind offer to help. As I mention in another post, I passed the classes using dive tables and have a computer available to me. I am just asking, are there other classes that require dive table use? Do you know?

but no... lately it seems the agencies are getting behind LDS sales and pushing the mandatory use of computers... :(

my LDS an I got into a it a lil' when I told him from the get go I would Not be buying a computer and wanted to get solid on my tables first...

I'll be buying one next August.. a couple months before my Liveaboard trip... , cus' unless your going to be doing in excess of 2-3 dives/day I really dont see the need for a computer. Nice yes... convenient yes... but not nescessary...

Thank you for your kind offer to help. As I mention in another post, I passed the classes using dive tables and have a computer available to me. I am just asking, are there other classes that require dive table use? Do you know?

It is worth the time to get a good general feel for the data the tables are telling you. It really is some pretty basic information you need to dive safely. I gave two of my nephews an old PADI OWC book and the RDP. It took them about a minute to realize the relationship between diving deep and greatly limited dive times. That graphic display is something a computer will not do.

A computer is only a tool, you need to use your own experience to read that data correctly. That is where a basic understanding of the tables will help you.

You may have passed the class, but it sounds like the tables are a weak area for you, and as a diver, you may consider wanting to strengthen your weaker areas and skills both in and out of the water. If you were comfortable with the tables, you wouldn't be asking the question, right? Because it wouldn't be a concern. The goal of a class is not simply to pass it, but to learn the tools and skills necessary for diving at that level, identify your weak areas, and improve those weak areas while gaining experience before advancing to the next level.

However, if I'm incorrect and you are very comfortable using dive tables and you are just asking out of curiosity, there are classes that require use of dive tables. I believe the PADI Deep diving specialty requires the use of dive tables. I'm not, nor have I ever been a PADI instructor, so I cannot be sure. But, my friend Bob (pir8) is a PADI instructor and I know he teaches tables to students who take that specialty. Although, he could be teaching tables just because he believes the divers should know it.

SDI allows computer nitrox, but TDI requires the use of tables for nitrox and advanced nitrox diving. Most of the worthwhile courses such as deep diving, nitrox, and advanced open water usually place tables in front of the student from most agencies.

When I did my full cave class with NSS-CDS, my instructor gave me a take home final exam with lots of dive tables questions on them. The questions were very difficult, because each question turned out to be based upon an accident in which the diver suffered DCS, and the problems often couldn't be resolved through normal use of the dive tables. There was room to be creative with the planning and profiles. If I didn't know tables, I would have certainly flunked my cave diver exam. But, to check my work, I called another friend of mine who was a PADI instructor to get his opinion on the answers at which I arrived and to see if he would have done anything differently. It turns out that he had forgotten everything about using dive tables and I spent our time on the phone re-educating him. He honestly could no longer figure them out. Once he remembered, he was able to work the problems and drew the same conclusions I did from the scenarios.

If your diving education is going to take you into any challenging and worthwhile courses, expect to be using tables.

Back
Top Bottom