Progressive Penetration vs. Running a Line

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UCFKnightDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
For all you wreck divers out there, I have a question. What are your views on progressive penetration, vs running a line. I cave dive so would be inclined to run a line, but wanted to here other divers views on it as well.

For some divers I am in favor of progressive penetration.

I was just curious, I had come across the concept in reading, and thought it was a little strange so figured I would ask other wreck divers their opinions. I personally dont get out to the wrecks all that often so keep my penetration pretty basic when I do, but I always run a line

I like a combination. Progressive penetration helps you learn the wreck and get a very good understanding and feel for where everything is inside. I do it while running a line.

boxers or briefs? Mac or PC?

it depends, for the longest time I was all about running a line and that's it.

However, there are some artificial wrecks that have lots of openings, are mostly debris free, and have maps available to study

after having a few silt out dives on the HMCS Columbia, I decided it was mush better to use prog-pen for the upper levels. Much more fun, much easier.

I found that when running a line I spent more time managing lines than enjoying the wreck

but, there is still a time and a place for a big ol fat reel and good line skills

Hey, on most of the busted up wrecks here in NJ you need to run a line OUTSIDE the wreck if you want to find your way back to the anchor!

:D

Hey, on most of the busted up wrecks here in NJ you need to run a line OUTSIDE the wreck if you want to find your way back to the anchor!

:D
Very true.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom