Camping in Destin area?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JPENDERGRAST

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My brother and I will be down there diving this weekend, and since the girls won't be with us, we're looking for a cheaper alternative to paying $120 for a hotel there. Any campsites that are reasonable, and close to the Marina area? Not necessarily within walking distace. I've found several on Google, just looking for some opinions here.

Thanks!

you can stay in Niceville or Panama City hotels for much cheaper than Destin. (Destin doesn't have many hotels, mostly condo's). Couple folks I know just got a room at the Days Inn in Panama City for next weekend for $60/night.

Camping at Henderson State Park, but it's usually full. Downtown Destin, almost across from Walmart.
"Camping on the Gulf" is a campground on Hwy98 just past the outlet malls on the beach side. it's more for RV's, but you could prob tent camp. commercial campground. located on the beach.

Topsail State Park is right on 30A right where you turn off Hwy98. camping there. state park, so chances are it's full also. send a PM to PhotoHikeDive as he's a ranger there and he might have an inside track on getting a space.

Rocky Bayou on hwy20 in Niceville (state park) is a place to check. it's just north of the mid bay bridge. often you can get a spot there when Henderson is full.

Grayton State Park over on 30a I think you know about.

St Andrews State Park in PCB is popular. (sometimes hard to find a spot). Same state parks the PCB jetties are in.

I'm sure Google can find more.

Snipe away at Henderson when people let go of reserved sites.

Thats what I had to do for this past weekend! I ended up having to move campsites at grayton beach but I was able to make reservations. like SBM said just keep checking and one will open up. also check henderson state park as well....a little closer to destin.

Thanks all!

you can stay in Niceville or Panama City hotels for much cheaper than Destin. (Destin doesn't have many hotels, mostly condo's). Couple folks I know just got a room at the Days Inn in Panama City for next weekend for $60/night.

Camping at Henderson State Park, but it's usually full. Downtown Destin, almost across from Walmart.
"Camping on the Gulf" is a campground on Hwy98 just past the outlet malls on the beach side. it's more for RV's, but you could prob tent camp. commercial campground. located on the beach.

Topsail State Park is right on 30A right where you turn off Hwy98. camping there. state park, so chances are it's full also. send a PM to PhotoHikeDive as he's a ranger there and he might have an inside track on getting a space.

Rocky Bayou on hwy20 in Niceville (state park) is a place to check. it's just north of the mid bay bridge. often you can get a spot there when Henderson is full.

Grayton State Park over on 30a I think you know about.

St Andrews State Park in PCB is popular. (sometimes hard to find a spot). Same state parks the PCB jetties are in.

I'm sure Google can find more.

You should really start charging a finders fee for all the answers you give out...

You should really start charging a finders fee for all the answers you give out...

I'll send you my paypal address :D

seriously though... some of the stuff I've learned over time as many years ago I used to go down there all the time. Now I only make it down a few times a year. but I learned a lot of the stuff about the dive sites down there from folks here such as SeaYoda and SupRBugman or others. Lots of folks here as good resources.

One more spot for camping.... If you're coming down I-10, Vortex Springs is right off it. Some folks will camp there and then drive down to the gulf to dive and then drive back up and do a "freshwater gear rinse" on one of the springs.

I think that's what we're going to do. The guy we're going fishing with told me that yesterday, and neither my brother nor myself has been there before.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom