The Cove is in theaters now

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
The Cove, featuring Performance Freediving International founder Kirk Krack and seven-time world record holder Mandy-Rae Cruickshank, is now in theaters around the world.

Described as “a cross between ‘Flipper’ and ‘The Bourne Identity,” by Peter Travers of Rolling Stone, the film follows a determined crew that includes members of the Oceanic Preservation Society, Performance Freediving and more, as they try to uncover the mysterious secret of a small cove in Taiji, Japan where thousands of dolphins have met a tragic end.

The film won the Audience Award at the 2009 Sundance Film Festival and has gone on to captivate audiences at festivals around the world. It's a must see for anyone that's ever enjoyed the ocean's underwater world.

See the trailer at: The Cove Movie: Welcome and go see the film on the big screen.

If you've seen the movie already, please post on here and let us know what you thought.

Erin Magee
Performance Freediving International
Performance Freediving
erin.magee@performancefreediving.com
954-302-2791

I'm usually suspicious of independent documentaries (I find too many of them one sided), but I have to say that I really enjoyed this one. I would see it again and have encouraged all of my friends to see it.

Looks great..(well not really.) I will be going to see it. and signed the petition.

I went to see The Cove Sunday night (8-16).

First off, I enjoyed the film and would recommend seeing it regardless of an interest in scuba. The official movie website has an enjoyable video on freediving, but there was not a big emphasis on freediving/scuba in the film itself (not actually a negative, just FYI).

Somewhat of a spoiler:

The film was pretty tastefully done -- not an overload of tear-jerking footage of inhumane treatment, just enough to get the clear picture that dolphins are indeed being slaughtered. It emphasized the difficult process of exposing these events and the political factors surrounding them.

What I learned from the film:
1. A small group of fishermen in Taiji, Japan are not-so-covertly killing/harvesting numerous dolphins for reasons that don't make a lot of sense (to me at least).
2. Japan's loose interpretation of the International Whaling Commission's regulations is at least partially responsible for this or enabling this.
3. Ironically, some dolphin shows around the world are obtaining their attractions through these same channels.

Having seen this back in April, when it was still a rough cut, I am agog to see it in the final theatric release.

I will admit that I found portions hard to watch. The movie is, however, very, very worthwhile - one I'd reccomend for anyone that loves the ocean.

All the best, James

I am currently trying to get a local independent theater to play this in my area! I really hope i get a chance to see it

What I learned from the film:
1. A small group of fishermen in Taiji, Japan are not-so-covertly killing/harvesting numerous dolphins for reasons that don't make a lot of sense (to me at least).
2. Japan's loose interpretation of the International Whaling Commission's regulations is at least partially responsible for this or enabling this.
3. Ironically, some dolphin shows around the world are obtaining their attractions through these same channels.

This happens in Europe too...

Pilot Whales Brutally Slaughtered Annually in the Faroe Islands | EarthFirst.com

Back
Top Bottom