Wicked Marine Life in the Red Sea...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

samaka

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Just to let you know what you're missing if you're not here in Egypt with us right now...

In Hurghada there are at the moment three Whale Sharks swimming around making life easy for dive guides.

In Safaga day before yesterday one of my mates saw two Tigersharks, one Longimanus and two Hammerheads on one dive.

On Elphinstone there are at least five Tigershark individuals, a few Longimanus and some hammerheads.

On Maksour (Fury Shoal) there have been two Tigersharks spotted the last few weeks.

Of course we also have the normal Red Sea beauty alongside with all this but it's interesting to note how now and then there is a year of extraordinary marine life encounters. I recon, after living here for a decade, that the Red Sea is not only on a yearly cycle but also on another cycle which i figure is spanning over four years. Looking back in my notes and my friends notes I have come to this conclusion...

.......a.......

Sure, you've got lots of mean old Sharks.

"Normal Red Sea beauty"? You've got those Titan Triggerfish. That's what I'm afraid of.

A Shark will eventually get tired and leave you alone.

Congrats on the wide array of critters!

Damnit! Stuck in front of the screen with rain outside...

But good on you. If there's one dive I REALLY want to do now, it's Elphinstone - or anywhere in that part of the Red Sea - with the Hammerheads (shoals of them)!! I also remember some of the best night diving ever with the beautiful Spanish Dancers and rays. I almost wish I was back in London so I could book a last minute package and fly tomorrow...

Oh well, thanks for the reminder and have a nice dive day!:kiss2:

Just to let you know what you're missing if you're not here in Egypt with us right now...

In Hurghada there are at the moment three Whale Sharks swimming around making life easy for dive guides.

In Safaga day before yesterday one of my mates saw two Tigersharks, one Longimanus and two Hammerheads on one dive.

On Elphinstone there are at least five Tigershark individuals, a few Longimanus and some hammerheads.

On Maksour (Fury Shoal) there have been two Tigersharks spotted the last few weeks.

Of course we also have the normal Red Sea beauty alongside with all this but it's interesting to note how now and then there is a year of extraordinary marine life encounters. I recon, after living here for a decade, that the Red Sea is not only on a yearly cycle but also on another cycle which i figure is spanning over four years. Looking back in my notes and my friends notes I have come to this conclusion...

.......a.......

I work in sharm...

got bumped by longimanus on a safety stop last week on the far side of Yolanda. Had a customer attacked by a Titan on the same dive. Superb fun! :D (you *really* had to be there!)

Not everybody's favourite place for quiet secluded diving, but mantas, oceanic white tips, whale sharks, hammerheads, grey / white tip / black tip reef sharks, dolphins and permanent 30m viz in 28 - 32 degress water temp.

So ja - Samaka - I'm with you dude! :D

happy diving,

C.

Sounds amazing

I miss Yolanda and Shark Reef....used to dive Anemone City then swim the blue to Shark Reef and end at Yulanda....Ah!!!! I miss the Red Sea

Not that I'm countint down the days or anything, but we're off to Marsa Alam in a fortnights time :) - headed further south though to Rocky, Daedalus etc. We've booked the whole boat between us, so guarenteed good company and no manic divers. First time my daughter has dived outside of Scotland - Scapa Flow last week - can't wait to see her reactions :)!!

one of my customers sent me this picture of the C. Longimanus - Oceanic White Tip - getting a little close. It's still a relative juvenile, "adolescent", perhaps - approximately 2 metres in length. My customer thinks a little larger, and he got a better look at it than me so... meh, it was bigger than me, anyway!

That's me in the pic - muppet features here is actually signalling to the diver to surface and wondering why he didn't come up with the rest of the group...!

In a way, I'm kinda glad he didn't! :dork2:

Some times, you just have those days - I got within a metre of a fish reputed to have killed more people (mostly shipwreck victims) than every other species of shark combined... I'm sorry, my life is soooo cooool! :D

Ya boo sucks to be you! :D

C.

Attachments

• longimanus2.jpg
    longimanus2.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 61
"Wicked marine life"? I thought this topic was going to be about fornicating fish!

Unless there's something particularly wicked about the cool sharks and such just being there. This sounds like they were actually being good!

(Also sounds very, very cool)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom