Double Hose Second Stage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AuburnFan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Ok so I've been reading around the board and other places and have read about people using a double hose second stage. Is there a benefit to this or just another piece of gear to choose from and its all personal preference? Just curious.

Aqualung_old_type.jpg

Not sure what you are referring to, a double hose regulator or a single hose regulator with an added second stage for sharing air.

Not sure what you are referring to, a double hose regulator or a single hose regulator with an added second stage for sharing air.

I'm guessing a double hose regulator. Like what is in your avatar.

No not a rebreather. A double hose regulator like the old ones Cousteau used

Double Hose Regulators were popular in the 50's and 60's. Around the 70's is when the single hose regulator come on strong. There are still a lot of DH regs and people diving them including myself.

Vintage Equipment Diving - ScubaBoard

Double Hose Regulators were popular in the 50's and 60's. Around the 70's is when the single hose regulator come on strong. There are still a lot of DH regs and people diving them including myself.

Vintage Equipment Diving - ScubaBoard

So basically its just another type of gear you can use and no real benefit or downside to using one?

If you are buying new equipment, you want to get a single hose regulator. That is the current standard and performs very well. There is at least one manufacturer making a new double-hose regulator. I saw a diver using one on a liveaboard trip a couple of years ago. The double-hose setup will not breath as easily as the single-hose design. The double-hose design has the advantage that the exhaust bubbles exit behind your head. An underwater photographer might find this to be a useful advantage.

If you are buying new equipment, you want to get a single hose regulator. That is the current standard and performs very well. There is at least one manufacturer making a new double-hose regulator. I saw a diver using one on a liveaboard trip a couple of years ago. The double-hose setup will not breath as easily as the single-hose design. The double-hose design has the advantage that the exhaust bubbles exit behind your head. An underwater photographer might find this to be a useful advantage.

I have my own equipment and use a single hose regulator. I was just curious to why someone would use the double hose.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom