Sherwood service parts bands...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mrshow555

New
Reaction score
I just bought a used regulator/octo setup (pictured below) and the guy I purchased it from said each regulator has 2 parts service bands left (visible in photo). What exactly does this mean/include when I get my regulators serviced? Any links or explanations would be appreciated!

Also if anyone can identify the equipment for me so I can look for info online that's be much appreciated. The guy said they were Sherwood Maximus, but when I search that I get the new models which look different.

photo here: www [dot] tinyurl [dot] com/mtnohg
(sorry it wouldn't let me post the picture as I'm new to the boards)

The service bands let the tech know that it is under warranty or should be. When the reg is serviced one band is removed. Sherwood used to do free parts for two servicings. Then ya had to pay for em. Don't know if that's changed with everyone else doing free for life.

Just looked at it. You have an older set of Sherwood regs. That is indeed the maximus and a stadard octo. The maximus is designed to come under your right arm but you most likely knew that. With an old oceanic navcom console. If you have to dive a console that's probably the best one as your computer and compass are on the same side and easy to use. That the regs still have the service bands on them concerns me. Either the guy serviced them himself, got them done at a non sherwood shop who did not know what they are for, or never had em serviced!

SHerwood regs are bulletproof. But I would NOT dive these regs until a tech looks at them. When was the last time they were in the water? It's obvious they were used by the scratches on the comp screen and the primary swivel. These are at least 10 years old if not more by the looks of the second stage cover. and here's the link to the pics so others can see: http://i587.photobucket.com/albums/ss320/iamtoneh/P1000383.jpg

I think the scenario is that he had his dive instructor service them for him and I'm guessing he didn't remove the bands. He said the last time he used it was a about a year ago and that he bought the gear secondhand from someone. The gear looks like it's in great condition, all the chrome looks practically new on the 1st stage and all the hose connection, the back-up second stage looks new as well. The whole set cost me $190 so I'm hoping I got a deal....

mrshow555,

You got a good deal. My shop sells a lot of Sherwood equipment. They still do the two band thing. So as JimLap has described, when we sell a set of regs they have the two bands on them. each year you are REQUIRED to have them service at a Sherwood shop in order to maintain the warranty. When the tech services them they will remove a band. When there are no bands left they are out of warranty.

The fact the bands are still on does indicate they were not serviced by an authorized Sherwood tech. This doesn't mean the person who serviced them didn't know what they were doing. Since these are life critical equipment, I'd get someone I trust to have a look at them before I used them.

Worst case scenario is that they look new because they have hardly been used. Rubber deteriorates over time especially if they are not used. A tech will be able to tell if parts need replacing.

P.S. I just looked at the link JimLap posted. I can see two grooves under the two bands. I think this model might have had 4 bands on them but only two were removable for the warranty servicing. In other words, it looks like they have had the first two annual services. I'd still have someone look at them in case they have been sitting around and breaking down.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom