How to get over this fear!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kellykins

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey

Doing my Padi confined dive 4 on monday...and a little bit worried about skin diving!
I've always had a phobia of "diving" underwater.

It's fine with the scuba but this is without it...!!

So anyone know how i can over come this fear =\??

Is this with a mask on?

... much like other fears, you can get past this ... good instruction and practice builds confidence .. practice with your instructor near and the problem will be less severe knowing someone you trust is right there

I was very worried about the treading water part because I remember having so much trouble doing it as a kid
... I told my instructor and he gave me tips/told me what to expect .... turned out to be not as much of a deal at all :)

Not to worry, Is your fear holding your breath or not being comfortable with a snorkel?

Uh well since I were little, I've always been scared of going head first. Like when you have to dive to get a bean bag.

I've never been able to actually lift my self up to swim down.

Fear of drowning really!

Breathing with the snorkel isn't very different than with a regulator. You just have to remember to hold your breath (after getting used to NOT holding it) when you go under. You don't have to stay down long and clearing the snorkel is just like clearing a reg, a sharp exhale (which you'll need to do anyway) and a cautious inhale.

I'm not minimizing your fear, I'm just pointing out that it's not as different from what you've been practicing as it seems.

Won't you just float back up if you hold your breath?

Don't take this personally but I feel a person should be completely comfortable in the water before even thinking about scuba. Scuba may mask the fear but when things go wrong the fear returns along with panic.

Don't take this personally but I feel a person should be completely comfortable in the water before even thinking about scuba. Scuba may mask the fear but when things go wrong the fear returns along with panic.

I'm fine in water. I can swim fine, tread water etc.
It's just going head first that I don't like.

Have you practiced a horizontal descent in your SCUBA gear yet? Going a little head down in that might help you get used to it.

You might have to just brace yourself to do it and try in spite of the fear. Don't think about it too much ahead of time, you'll just work yourself up even more.

No never done it with the scuba gear.
i'll just stay positive and see how it goes.

Back
Top Bottom