How do I get into spear-fishing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaHound

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello -

I am a diver but never really tried spear fishing. Do I just buy a gun and start shooting fish or would I be needing underwater hunter certification to get on charters? Any advice you could give to someone who wants to start this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers -

S H

try to find people in your area that can show you the ropes, it will be a lot cheaper than charters. try your local dive shop

Last edited:
Thats good advise. See if your LDS can set you up with some local spearheads. They probably have a gun you can use. Expect to go in on fuel etc and youll learn what to shoot and what not. After 1 trip you can go from there. A fish ID card and size regulations info is good to know.

Chad do you know of any freedive spearfishing clubs in the Boca Raton/Pompano/Ft Lauderdale area? thanks.

So just like we get asked for a AOW card for deep dives and a nitrox card for nitrox, we dont need a U/W hunter card to board a spear-fishing charter? I mean the C-card then doesnt really do anything for you then right?

Just get the equipment, find some buddies and dive on in!

.... we dont need a U/W hunter card to board a spear-fishing charter?

No you do not need a specialty card or course card to board a charter. But on most every boat you will need a fishing license along with any species 'endorsements' (ie lobster) before you are allowed to hunt. Some boats do carry a captain's license that would exempt you personally from holding a fishing license, but it is extremely rare on dive boats. I've never found one that does.

....I mean the C-card then doesnt really do anything for you then right?

Well you still need a C-card to get manifested on a scuba dive charter boat. But if you freedive without tanks, you technically don't even need a c-card. Although you would still possibly need a fishing license if the boat doesn't possess a captain's license. If the perfect boat is available that has both a captain's license and lets you freedive, then you don't need a c-card nor a fishing license, just jump in and shoot a proper fish.

But for 99% of all the scuba dive charter boats in Florida, you'll need the correct C-card (corresponding with planned depths, ie AOW,EAN,tech), a valid fishing license (with endorsements) and as always permission from the captain to bring a speargun on board. Some captains don't allow spearguns. :mooner:

I also suggest new hunters, take a class or shadow an experienced spearo to learn the sport. There is nothing as brutal like being yelled at when you bring a protected fish, short fish, or trash eating fish back on the boat. Learn before you splash what fish you can target.

This was last Thursday's dives off Jupiter. It's a great sport!

IMG_2381.jpg

Go here and order a salt water fishing license and also a lobster one, there cheap, bring these and your gun to a dive boat, show the captain and ask if it is ok to spear on his/her boat.

FWC - Licenses & Permits

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom