Ohio - Circleville Twin Quarries

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

martinjc

Contributor
Reaction score
Well - I've read so many dive reports - I thought it was only fair to add mine - even if few of you would ever venture to Central Ohio to dive in a 20' deep quarry...fair visibility...minimal facilities...but hey - it's home! <S>

Anyway - they have sunk 2 school buses side by side toward the west-center of the quarry, along with a catamaran and truck bed (both of these are used as training platforms for classes) in about 20' of water (the deepest part of the lake). There are two bowling balls and a couple empty air tanks on the catamaran for under water bowling. (For some reason the blue gill in the area recognize the 'clanking' of the tanks as the dinner bell - we were sorrounded by hungry blue gill quickly once we started playing with the tanks.)

Also sunk in the eastern side of the quarry - a bathtub with upright manaquin (a little spooky given the visibility)and a small boat.

On the north western end of the quarry (about 16' of water) is a 20' boat sunk vertically - so the bow sticks out of the water a few feet. Fun to try and sit in the driver and passenger seats with a tank on...

Also in the north end lurks a 4' long catfish - king of the quarry (I only saw one catfish). There is also a pronounced thermocline at about 14' here (the water on the bottom appears smokey due to the temp change) as this is where freshwater enters the quarry via an underground spring.

I did see a few freshwater jellyfish (about the size of a quarter, no-sting). Very cool little animals - neat to watch them undulating through the water...

That's about it - all in all in about an hour under water you can easily see it all while circumnavigating (sp?) the quarry.

It's $8 to get into the quarry. Tank fills (if you really want to do a second tank) are $6. If the quarry owner is in a good mood and the weather is nice - they will fire up the grill and serve up some pretty tasty chicken breast sandiwches for lunch.

If anyone wants directions - let me know!! <S>

"See you in the shallow green"

- Jim

Hey Jim.
Your quarry sounds pretty cool. It sound like a nice dive for myself and my son (he's 12 yrs old.) Since we both are doing our check out dive next weekend, we will be looking for some places that are close to dive.
I am in Ohio too.

Thanks for the report. Hopefully I'll be posting my own report on the cloudy, murky, particle laiden waters of Ohio soon too!

Mad_diver

Glad you liked the report - it's a fun little quarry and great for the new diver as it is fairly shallow, small and very unintimidating! Good luck on your check-out dives - Have fun!!

Back
Top Bottom