Which configuration of gear do you dive 99% of the time?

Which do you dive at present 99% of the time:

• Single tank open circuit

Votes: 153 76.1%
  • Double tank open circuit

Votes: 38 18.9%
  • Sidemount open circuit

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • SCR

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • CCR

Votes: 4 2.0%
  • None of the above.....have gills!

Votes: 4 2.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

texdiveguy

Contributor
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Please share a bit about your current gear configuration and why it fits your diving style and needs, or are you in the 'process/ or /wish' of changing and to which differing configuration and why?

:)

PS--- I dive doubles all the time. Sometimes Al and other times ST.

Last edited:
I am almost always in flux when it comes to configuration, I'm a diving equipment contradiction, an incredibly conservative early adopter.

I'm diving a thirty plus year old mask and snorkel, one of the earliest ever computers, a wetsuit design from the 1960s, and a regulator that I got a few weeks ago.

I'm working on getting comfortable and competent in doubles and dry suit so I can progress along the tech path, so except for Caribbean trips, that's all I'm using these days.

Are independant twins the same as doubles OC? If not you may have to change the poll.
I dive the same rig solo or buddied. Currently I use a single tank OC and stage (which ranges from a 30cuft pony to an 80cuft bottom stage. I'm in the last stages of building an independant twin Al80 rig which I will then probably dive 100% of the time.

This season I have been in Sidemount on every dive but one and last year I was in doubles on almost every dive and the year before it was single tanks (w/ pony) for almost everything. Was hoping next year would be rebreather for everything but jobless and enrolled in college has pushed that back.

I didn't like lugging doubles and found sidemount to be easier, especially so for shore diving or places where you walk to the entrance...

But everything is a tool and I have full setups for all 3 that I have done so far because no configuration suits every need all the time.

I use independent doubles alone or with a buddy, 40's for shallow dives and 80's for deeper dives. And I must be getting lazy because I bring my scooter on every dive now.

Well, I wouldn't say 99% of the time, but most of the time doubles, to keep skills sharp, but sometimes a light single tank is nice too...

I dive double AL80 cross connected for the added air and and redundancy.

Single steel HP119. I like to keep things simple. I dive for the marine life. If it's deep, I go there but don't stay long...walls easily allow for that.

I'm interested in decompression theory and modeling but it's mostly an intellectual pursuit-95% of my dives are above 130fsw. Slung pony, bungeed backup reg, main reg on old octo length hose with swivel (oh no!), jet fins and a light cannon. For practical reasons I'm usually diving air in a drysuit in a colder salt water environment quite often at night. I don't fit any diving category.:D

We are getting some GREAT replies....THANKS to all and keep them coming......each has a good reason for their set-ups and so far they make good sense!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom