HOW DEEP HAVE YOU GONE?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kubefish

Registered
Reaction score
i was wondering how deep some of you have dove using air?
the deepest i dove has only been around 100 feet.
my best friend used to work on a dive boat. he worked on a live aboard boat that did bahama trips. he would ususlly do one deep dive per day. one time him and the captain did a wall dive. he dove to 303 feet before turning around. the captain went a few feet further.
i am sure i will get bashed by the do gooders for this question. i was just looking for some truthful responses.

My deepest on air has been 100'. My wife 80'. I finished Chowdhury's The Last Dive not too long ago and it talks about what he calls the Martini effect. Interesting concept.
Diving deep on air just to see how deep you can go is a good way to become fish food.

Tom

however your quip about do gooders seems a bit negative.

The deepest I've been is 102'. Not much interested in going much deeper than that although I would like to stay longer.

As you probably know beyond 100' many people experience some level of nitrogen narcosis. At 303' probably 99.99% of people would have it and many of those would probably have trouble coping with it. As for DCS, maybe its not a major problem if the dive profile is of very short duration--ie straight down at 75 ft/min and then straight up at 60 ft/min. I've not studied diving to these depth but have heard of them so this is all specualtion on my part. Certainly I do NOT endorse such a dive just to see what it is like.

If you are interested in those depths I'm sure that there are technical dive courses that offer the approriate training.

Hey, (fish)(fish)(fish),

The deepest I have gone is 163' according to my computer. I have regularly exceeded the rec limit of 130' and have only used a single. I never have dived cold water and never in an overhead environment at such depths.

As I have noted before (and NetDoc will point out anyway, I am a candy a-- diver.)

Joewr

did someone carry your tank down for you joewr?(boy do I wish I knew how to put those funny little faces in here so joewr would know I'm just jerking his chain)

So were you narced Joewr? My never been narced mind really wants to know. Please describe if so.

Jaywalker,

I have, to my knowledge, never been narced (That cannot be a real word.). And nobody carried my tank!

And you can get to those funny faces by going up to the Similies line just above this thread. And if you can't make it work, call Ladydiver: she needs to earn her paycheck around here in more ways than just editing me with her ever ready red pencil (Do you like alliteration?).

And (How do you feel about starting sentances with conjunctions?)when I whenever I dive I keep close track of air pressure, depth, time and those cute little ticks on my N2 ads gauge. But, when I go deep, I really pay close attention to the N2 ads gauge.

Joewr

Hello,

Uhm never been narked? Shouldn't that be "never been narked that I REMEMBER?" :)

150' here durring a 'training dive'. I don't recomend anyone go past 2-3 atms with out some type of deep certification/training and with very competent partners and the proper equipment.

Ed

Joe, you worry me, bro. You really should strap on a stage, pony, or at least fit your tank with an H valve before going that deep. A friend of mine recently had an enlightening experience at 150'. He was 5 minutes into deco when all of sudden his 1 and only reg started to freeflow. He said his tank drained in a matter of seconds, and if not for the quick response of his buddy, who provided him with a pony and alternate, he would have surely been in serious trouble.

Hello,

That's EXACTLY why i'm currently playing with my new stage bottle and new reg setup (thanks rainreg!)

Ed

Back
Top Bottom