Cocos Island on Peter Hughes Wind Dancer...when did this happen?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ewaiea

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Did you guys know that the Peter Hughes Wind Dancer is not in Grenada anymore? They moved it to Cocos Island, I thought there were only two vessels total that had the license to go to that area. When did this change happen and has anyone traveled on the Wind Dancer Cocos Island trip? Does anyone know how it might differ from the Okeanos Aggressor?

And please, I know some people based on their principles don't travel on Peter Hughes liveaboards - but please don't turn this thread into another one of those endless debates. I want to know opinions the different places the boat might set up shop for the week as opposed to other ones, the service, number of dives a day....things like that.....cool?

I'd heard within the last week, I believe on the other board, that PH was moving it to Cocos. I think there was mention of PH moving another boat as well but could be mistaken.

I see they moved their 50% for second 2009 trip deal to the Sun Dancer II in Belize. It was on Wind Dancer earlier this year.

My experience is that each boat is different, and my impression is a local boat takes on the PH Dancer flag. We had a great trip in Komodo on them. I thought you said you were going on Star Dancer?

I couldn't work my work schedule to make a Star Dancer trip otherwise, I 'd be there.

I had heard the same thing last week...and they are suppose to move the Utila Aggressor to Grenada to take its place...but not sure when that will happen....

this has been posted on their website Welcome to Cocos Island & Peter Hughes Diving - Live-Aboard Excellence to World Class Dive Destinations looks like they are trying to start this up in Jan 2010 looks like the site has some information as to what when and where....

as far as the ship having a license to be there I would assume that has been taken care of before the move....I am sure if you emailed them they would be able to answer any questions..

My experience is that each boat is different, and my impression is a local boat takes on the PH Dancer flag. We had a great trip in Komodo on them. I thought you said you were going on Star Dancer?

I couldn't work my work schedule to make a Star Dancer trip otherwise, I 'd be there.

I am still going on the Star Dancer 4/23 to 5/3 2010 in Papua New Guinea (who's with me???) but I was on the Peter Hughes website surfing and noticed the website had been redesigned and I noticed the Cocos Island thing - I think the Wind Dancer is a nicer looking boat than the Okeanos Aggressor. February 2011 I'm hoping to hop aboard the Palau Aggressor II so I don't think I'll be going to Cocos Island until maybe 2012 at which point I'm sure both boats will be well established in the area.

So many destinations, I'm 29 years old with the hope and dream of hitting one per year - I hope I have enough years left!!! :)

...not to be a party-pooper, but I've seen/heard that there is massive shark fishing (Asian fishing fleets) in Cocos, and that the shark populations are in a serious, ongoing decline...so I'm not sure how much is left to see, or will be left to see in years to come.

I had heard the same thing last week...and they are suppose to move the Utila Aggressor to Grenada to take its place...but not sure when that will happen....

this has been posted on their website Welcome to Cocos Island & Peter Hughes Diving - Live-Aboard Excellence to World Class Dive Destinations looks like they are trying to start this up in Jan 2010 looks like the site has some information as to what when and where....

as far as the ship having a license to be there I would assume that has been taken care of before the move....I am sure if you emailed them they would be able to answer any questions..

...reading between the lines here, it sounds like Utila is being abandoned by PH, is this a sign/admission that the diving there is at or approaching terminal decline ?

...reading between the lines here, it sounds like Utila is being abandoned by PH, is this a sign/admission that the diving there is at or approaching terminal decline ?

I don't believe that is the case at all....the diving in the Bay Islands is great IMO...I go there almost every year (Roatan)....

I think part of the problem is that most of the sites can be reached by day trippers (land based) and of course who wants to pay big bucks to dive off of a LOB if they can reach the same sites as LB..there is a few exceptions like Guanaja and Cayos Cochinos & Barbareta....but there are not that many dive sites around those islands or I should say enough to make up a whole week of diving from them...

the Bay Isands Aggressor had the same problem and the boat was sold it is still there in Roatan and not running and looks very sad...

Last time I looked at the Aggressor website I noticed the UA I charters ended Dec 09, and the UA II showed charters starting January 2010 so that's when the boat would be available. The Wind Dancer was usually spending a couple months in the Winter doing the whale trips in the Silver Banks which always seem to be in demand but the T&C Aggressor goes up there. Maybe they will do maintenance on the boat in between there, or who knows. The Wind Dancer schedule didn't always seem to be nailed down very far in advance.

If they're just moving the Utila Aggressor I someplace else and putting in the Utila Aggressor II, that doesn't sound like abandonment. Just shuffling things around.

Hello from the Captain of Wind Dancer. Just to let you all know that we are in Panama heading up to Puntarenas tomorrow after transiting the canal.

To my knowledge PHD are committed to Grenada as a destination, just Wind is ideal for the ocean passage to Cocos. Also I believe there is a commitment in Utila too, just with a new yacht. Its just all going to take some months to sort out!

There will be a new crew for Cocos, but Andrina (my partner, divemaster and Hostess) and myself are expecting to be a part of the new set up.

The plan, as I understand it, is to ramp things up with maybe 10 to 12 trips in 2010 and then a full schedule of 25 a year thereafter.

As for the original point, "how will it be different from the Okeanos" question... it will be a PHD trip through and through!

Looking forward to seeing some old friends in 2010, and plenty of sharks!

Simon

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom