Trip Report for Sat, Aug 15th, Destin off shore

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Puffer Fish

Captain Happy
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Normally, I would put both Sat and Sundays together, but as they ended up being very different.. will do two.

Sat was supposed to be calm.. it was not. With the strong wind, we ended up staying near shore and doing the rubble pile and some lame barge...sounded terrible.. it was not...

It was dark, windy, fairly good seas, (it was a dark and stormy night.....)..and on the first dive I was trying a new wide angle wet lens for the G10...

Well first off, the water was somewhat clear, but there was a ton of... well haze in the water...made for very strange looking images...

Only issue with the new lens, is that when we hit the temperature drop at the bottom, the lens fogged... so it sort of made a mess images (which I also don't know how to do)... so here are some of the ones that did come out:

fish802.jpg

jelly800.jpg

soapfish800.jpg

Then we went to the rubble, and had a great dive... Noah found a large octo that came out and played with us.. at one point, he reached out and touched me...

octo891.jpg

But even when not doing that, he posed well for the camera:

octo800.jpg

octo802.jpg

octo804.jpg

There were lots of the usual stuff:

Damsel800.jpg

arrowcrab800.jpg

fish805.jpg

redfish800.jpg

I like the color on that last one..

Then after everyone left.. I found this guy.. don't have a clue what it is.. except that it has eyes and a mouth and is about 3.4 to 4 inches long..

odd801.jpg

Then, as the dive was getting interesting.. they had sent someone down to free the anchor and get me... darn...

Like the moon jelly shot.

The last picture is some kinda pipefish I think, related to the seahorse.

Thnx for the pix

The last picture is some kinda pipefish I think, related to the seahorse.

Yea, I believe you are correct.. never seen one that acted this way.. the pipefish I have seen were all swimmers.. not eel like...did not know we had them...

Thanks, the wide angle makes taking that kind of picture really easy...was surprised by that...now I need to get pictures of one with the little fish in it...

Nice Pictures.....Bugman is correct, that is a pipefish. I see a lot of them in the grassy areas where the Gulf and Bay meet around Destin Pass.

Nice Pictures.....Bugman is correct, that is a pipefish. I see a lot of them in the grassy areas where the Gulf and Bay meet around Destin Pass.

Interestng.. how big and were they that color?

I have never seen one inshore that is as colorful as the one you photographed. Most I have seen are pretty bland...bars going around their body, some have a little black, but most are variations of light brown and tan. Nothing to spectacular, but fun to watch.

The ones I have seen are hanging around the grassy areas...not sure if they spawn there or not. I also agree that the one you photographed looks fatter and more worm like. Most I have seen are thinner and more active. It appears your pipefish was a real Bubba...kind of stocky, and not very active. All he needs is a couch and a remote control!:D

Interestng.. how big and were they that color?

Yeah, I've seen lots of them, sometimes just on a sandy bottom between the beach and some of the beach accessible wrecks here. Usually tan, or just green, with a couple rings or some very hard to distinguish latteral lines. Typically on 2-3" long and if you aren't looking, you just think its a piece of straw or grass.

Back
Top Bottom