Best way to get parts for Sherwood Avid

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

utiladude

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi
I was on the boat "The Humbolt" in San Diego (Aug 9) from 'Waterhorse Charters' just 60 seconds before jumping on the water on my last dive one of the boat's crew 'Annita' just saw the cap of the "Remote Exhaust Valve" (valve between corrugated hose & BCD) come off and yes I just got it checked at my LDS before this trip.

Luckily we found the O-ring and the seal, put it together (actually Annita did) and I was able to make the dive.

I doubt that the technician from my LDS forgot to totally tight screw the
cap of the "Remote Exhaust Valve" maybe someone in the boat was playing with my BCD...?
Anyway how can I buy the cap, seal & O-ring to add to my 'save a dive kit'? My LDS don't carry Sherwood products in stock. Can you PM me what dealer actually has Sherwood BCDs & order parts quickly? I live between Milwaukee and Chicago in the Wisconsin side. I believe that Sherwood Avid is the most popular jacket BCD in the market but to get parts for small repairs seems to be a headache, please prove me I'm wrong.

For little parts it would be nice to just order from the Internet, to actually drive to the LDS and have them order a small part and drive back again a week later to pick it up seems to me like an obsolete way to do business (IMHO).

Does any one knows if the threads (pull dump valves) on the BCD are compatible with other brands?

Sherwood could give the closest LDS a commission for a 'Sherwood internet' sale that way everybody is happy :)

Thanks

Utiladude,

I'd say 90% of the jacket BCDs in my area are Sherwood Avid. A few times I have seen the same problem you had. When we went to fix the unit it was noted that it was a little difficult to get the parts back together easily. It wasn't immediately intuitive getting the unit back together. If you LDS doesn't normally service Avids or the tech was having a bad day/moment/interruption/lack of coffee/etc. then it is possible they didn't put the unit back together properly.

Personally, I service my own Avid. If I did have someone else service it, I'd fill the jacket and empty it from the Remote Exhaust Valve right when I pick it up at the shop. If it fails, get the staff to fix it before you leave.

If you still want to have some spare parts try sending an email to Larry at ScubaToys. His website is at Scuba Gear Scuba Diving Equipment Discount dive gear Snorkeling Equipment and Wetsuits Cheap online. I have no affiliation with Scuba Toys but they have a great customer service reputation. I'm pretty sure Larry can hook you up.

Hi utiladude,

Not all BC values theards are the same but they're not all different either.

John

Go to the Sherwood website and search for dealers. Call a few of them to see if they have the part and ask if they will ship it to you. Most of the larger dealers (my store included) should have what you need. You could also talk to your LDS and ask if they will order the part for you and have them send it to you.

The cap on the dump valve on my Avid came off on a dive boat during my trip to Cozumel in June. We founds the parts on the deck of the boat and looked at everyone's BC but did not notice that it was gone from mine. When I discovered later that it was missing from mine the dive shop (Dive Paradise) got someone to go to a shop in town and get me parts. I think the parts were Scuba Pro but they fit the Avid. They told me that many BC brands used the same or similar parts and only charged me $10.

When I got back home I went to my LDS, Mermet Springs, Dive in First Class -- Scuba Instruction, Local Diving, Travel Worldwide and they had the Sherwood OEM parts in stock. They installed the new cap, o-ring, and diaphragm for $15.00 and I put the parts I bought in Cozumel in my save a dive kit. You could contact Mermet Springs, Dive in First Class -- Scuba Instruction, Local Diving, Travel Worldwide to see if they will sell you the parts. I know they have them in stock.

The cap on the dump valve on my Avid came off on a dive boat during my trip to Cozumel in June. We founds the parts on the deck of the boat and looked at everyone's BC but did not notice that it was gone from mine. When I discovered later that it was missing from mine the dive shop (Dive Paradise) got someone to go to a shop in town and get me parts. I think the parts were Scuba Pro but they fit the Avid. They told me that many BC brands used the same or similar parts and only charged me $10.

When I got back home I went to my LDS, Mermet Springs, Dive in First Class -- Scuba Instruction, Local Diving, Travel Worldwide and they had the Sherwood OEM parts in stock. They installed the new cap, o-ring, and diaphragm for $15.00 and I put the parts I bought in Cozumel in my save a dive kit. You could contact Mermet Springs, Dive in First Class -- Scuba Instruction, Local Diving, Travel Worldwide to see if they will sell you the parts. I know they have them in stock.

Thanks Semo
Sorry I didn't reply sooner, I tought that Scubaboard would send me an email for
the answers it just occured to me to check anyway.
I dove with Diveparadise (Cozumel) just this Jan. (fun crew). Your case is very similar to mine. On my boat my helper told me that she has seen that happen before and is not unusual. What baffles me is why it just comes loose? but I don't want to have to pay a fortune for a BC just to have a fancy valve that will never ever come loose.

I'll contact your store or better yet I'll just go to Cozumel to Diveparadise to get a spare part for my BC :eyebrow:.

Although I have not looked to see how other brands of BC's are made I would suspect that since the parts for many interchange that there will not be a lot of difference. I will make sure that I perform a better check of my gear prior to and after a dive. We should all inspect our gear better.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom