RMS Lusitania - Why not more dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubaseeker

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
RMS Lusitania - Why not more dives to see all??? I gather it lies at a depth of 90 metres, so is possible...

Has anyone here tried it... BTW, it is shown in wrong location on GoogleEarth (Oceans lyer).

My understanding is that you need a permit from the Irish government to dive it.

They don't give out permits to anyone – you need a good reason. Even if you have a permit you may expect a monitor around.

Souvenir-hunting wreak divers don't seem to be welcome..

Many thanks there Tas Rohan

A local team have just finished a week end expidition on it ! 4 day licence only got one dive as weather conditions were poor.Depth seabed 93M wreck 83m extensive netting and very broken.14miles from kinsale hd.Greg Beamis was with the expidition as was a state archoligist

A local team have just finished a week end expidition on it ! 4 day licence only got one dive as weather conditions were poor.Depth seabed 93M wreck 83m extensive netting and very broken.14miles from kinsale hd.Greg Beamis was with the expidition as was a state archoligist

This is very interesting news indeed! How did you find out about this? It would be great if Greg Beamis (who I gather actually owns the wreck) can share some photos of this recent visit. I gather the ship is lying on its starboard side and is like swiss-cheese after the British Navy dropped depth charges on it during the 1950s, now confirmed after Discovery channel found an unexploded one on/in the wreck??

So what is it they don't want anyone to find out about down there??...:crafty:

Even Greg Beamis as the owner cannot dive on the wreck without permission from the Irish Government! There is still a lot of mystery about why the ship was sunk and why the British Royal Navy made such an effort to destroy it with depth charges! One thing is for sure, many people went down with the ship so maybe its better to let them lie in peace, also its starting to collapse into itself so it can no longer be considered a safe wreck dive!

Robert Ballard's Lusitania
available from amazon is a fantastic picture book also check out "techicnal diving ireland " and search for lusitania threads.There are two irish groups doing offical dives on it every season .its a very demanding dive as the visibility is rarely any more than 4-5m,water temp 15 C and usual constrained with an amazing amount of red tape.

Good article on the Lusitania and the legal wrangles around it in this quarters Wreck Diving Magazine. The article refers to the diving team being boarded by the Irish police when they went to dive it to check they had the right permits. Clearly they are very sensitive about it.

It has been designated a cultural heritage site or some such thing in Ireland (the youngest wreck ever to get that designation).

I love the idea that there may be lost works by Rembrant and Monet in a sealed container somewhere on board. That has to be every wreck divers second favourite treasure hunting dream...

The "second explosion" theory relating to her sinking also makes for intrigue given the historical significance and catastrophic loss of life.

You can easily see that getting spun into a pretty decent novel by Clive Cussler (or whomever does his ghost writing these days).

Not to nit pick but it's F. Greg Bemis. Not Beamis.

Back
Top Bottom