Joining girlfriend on PADi Open Water dives...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

emilin

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi,

I got my Open Water certification back in February this year and I am planning a trip to the Red Sea (Sharm) as part of our Holiday in Egypt.

We are only planning 5 days there and don't want to be diving everyday, maybe 3 days (6 dives).

My girlfriend plans to do the Open Water pool sessions and exam here in London and then just do the 4 dives in the Red Sea. I would like to be able to join her on the boat and ideally the dives but a couple of places told me certified divers couldn't join.

I don't actually mind doing the exercises again if it comes to that,... Basically we really don't want to be a part for two full days (4 dives).

Could I at least be o the same boat? Has anyone done the referral dives there and had some certified divers join?

Any recommendation for places that will allow me to join at least on the same boat, if maybe a different dive.

Thanks for all your help!

Emilio.

They don't want you to disrupt their classes. Other instructors won't have a problem if you promise to be good.

Here it's more about boat operation. Normally the certified divers won't be happy diving where courses are held (shallow, uninteresting sites). So boats carrying certified divers don't carry students. However, when numbers are not so big, the same boat could have students and certified divers.

Thanks for the quick responses guys!

I will be there from from the 9th or 10th of October till the 14th or 15th. We would like to do:

- Me 6 dives
- GF 4 Open water dives + 2 normal dives

With the remaining time to be spent by the beach chiling :cool2:

Asser, feel free to PM me some quote.

Walter, can you recommend anyone?

Thanks! :wink:

Tag alongs are relatively common. Fine if they're (i) competent and (ii) stay out of the way.

Often though they need more mothering than than the actual student making the course a nightmare. Parents with kids on a course are the worst.

As Above, some centers don't want to take the chance you spoil the course or exceed the course numbers, most large centers will let you on the same boat. Sometimes a course can be stressful enough without qualified partners looking on. Maybe a better plan to do that course you dreamed about and let her get on with the referral herself, then joining up together for some fun dives after the courses. Camel will be able to help...

I've run courses with tag alongs before. What I noticed is that when the student is alone on the confined water sessions then the partner joins the open water dives, things go fine. On the other hand, when the partner insist on joining the confined water sessions (kids and parents like String said), sometimes the course is a mess.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom