Help me cut through metal shaft

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Inman

Advisor
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Say you wanted to cut through a 2" metal shaft underwater, but didn't want to use a torch, or hack saw for a month... Any other options?

LOL... friggin hell.

I laugh, cause I've been there, and its a PITA, but I was going through a 4" metal shaft(never finished by the time the sand covered that particular wreck... I really wanted the 40" prop on the other end of it too).

Anyway... Its slow, and still a PITA, and will take lots of gas. Grab a pnuematic cut-all with a carbide cutting wheel and some hose. You'll blow through an AL80 in about 10minutes full out. Its a hellovalot faster than a hacksaw, but slower than a torch(or demo).

If this is in saltwater, kiss the cut-all goodbye, no amount of freshwater rinsing afterwards could prevent mine from rusting shut. Course, they're only like $30.

LOL... friggin hell.

I laugh, cause I've been there, and its a PITA, but I was going through a 4" metal shaft(never finished by the time the sand covered that particular wreck... I really wanted the 40" prop on the other end of it too).

Anyway... Its slow, and still a PITA, and will take lots of gas. Grab a pnuematic cut-all with a carbide cutting wheel and some hose. You'll blow through an AL80 in about 10minutes full out. Its a hellovalot faster than a hacksaw, but slower than a torch(or demo).

If this is in saltwater, kiss the cut-all goodbye, no amount of freshwater rinsing afterwards could prevent mine from rusting shut. Course, they're only like $30.

Echo what Bugman said. Buy a cheap pneumatic and know that it's likely to be a one time only use. If you have access to a hookah, that would be helpful if it's gonna take a lot of cutting.

Rick,

Why do you want to cut through the shaft under water? Is is possible to raise the whole thing and do it in your garage with a normal cutting torch?

If the answer is no then you're going to need a hacksaw or whatever. Whatever doesn't work on land isn't going to work under water so don't expect magical beavers with titanium teeth to offer help.

R..

...don't expect magical beavers with titanium teeth to offer help.

R..
Who told you about our magical titanium-toothed beavers??

Oh, and it cannot be done on the surface. And it is at 140'.

You should have called me when I was in Vancouver. I would have been happy to drive down and spend a couple of days sawing through a 2 inch metal shaft at 140' just to have been diving in water that didn't look like my usual pea soup.

*sigh* there you go making me all home-sick again....

R..

A suitable cutting charge would do it quick, but everyone is so twitchy about buying and selling explosives these days. We used to just go to the hardware store and buy exploseives when needed - aahhh the good old days...

Well, thanks all. Looks like we found someone with a torch after all.

Well, thanks all. Looks like we found someone with a torch after all.

When your mission is complete, keep one thing in mind...

:worthless:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom