Bubble formation happens every time we dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba dew

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
i copyed this from cave burn, it's good to know

yes, bubble formation happens every time we dive. The lungs are the bodies' natural filtering mechanism to remove bubbles and for bubbles small in size and small in quantity, the lungs do a good job.

Enter the Patent Foramen Ovale (PFO). The foramen ovale is a shunt or bypass between the right and left side of the heart which, before birth, allows blood to bypass the lungs. After birth there is a flap of tissue that falls down and seals over the hole. In one in five of us, 20%, in the general population this flap doesn't seal completely.

For divers, if the foramen ovale remains 'patent' it allows the bubbles, which are usually filtered by the lungs to bypass the lungs and so remain in the blood stream.

A PFO is present in 80% of divers who experience type II DCS, indiso a PFO is a contraindicator to decompression diving in particular and, to a lesser extent, any kind of diving in general.

Testing to see if you have a PFO isn't usually done in the general population because it usually doesn't present a risk but isn't really that expensive and is recommended for anyone who's been treated for DCS.

I found the article you referenced at the bottom of your post interesting. Dr. Richard Moon is head of the Duke Hyperbaric research facility and was one of the educators at the Dive Medical Tech/Hyperberic Tech course I took through DAN and at Duke University in 2005. What I've posted above is what we were taught in that course. I don't think this article invalidates any of that, it just says there is more to learn and we can't say for sure that fixing a PFO eliminates all risk factors and will keep you having another bout of DCS.

Be safe and have fun in the water! Bruce

Actually you copied it from Cave Bum... ahhh... that would be me!

There was also some discussion in that thread that the numbers in more recent published reports were higher... closer to 30% in the general population and above 80% in diver’s diagnosed with type II DCS.

Regardless of the math, the main point is that having a PFO is a contra indicator to decompression diving and to some extents a contra indicator to all diving.

Additionally, there is no reason for the general diving population to be tested for a PFO. You should, however, be tested if you've suffered a DCS hit. Some medical professionals in that thread only recommended testing if it was an 'undeserved' hit but the number to be tested for all DCS hits is relatively low and would not unduly burden the system IMHO.

Be safe and have fun in the water! Bruce

Actually you copied it from Cave Bum... ahhh... that would be me!

:rofl3: :popcorn:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom