DM Internship Dahab or elsewhere

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Almchenry

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello all!

I'm an AOW cert currently but I will be getting my EFR in a couple of weeks. I'm in the process of finding a DM internship that begins in January and that lasts approximately 4-6 months. I came across Mirage Divers in Dahab (the city that I'm currently looking into) that offers just that.

I'm a little weary though because they offer a 'free' internship and as we all know, nothing is ever free.
Do any of you have any recommendations or thoughts about the program. Internships and Future Career in Dahab Egpyt

Also, I have absolutely no desire to stay in Sharm, but I would definitely be up for doing a DM course in the lower region. Any extra info or insight would be incredibly appreciated!

Nothing is for free, all these courses will teach you slowly and make you work off the course, they will get their monies worth out of you. At the start you will be shown how the counter works and spend most of your time there. This happened to my girlfriend and after three weeks she still had had no training in diving so left (not with the company you mentioned) We decided to pay for the course and work after that. However their are some companies that are fair. What you need to do is get a full written program upfront, what happens from week to week and how they will work out getting their money back. You also need to know how much certification costs and when you will receive that, i have heard about centers withholding the cert indefinitely.
Sharm may not have the relaxed vibe that dahab has to offer, but they have far more job opportunities just the thing to earn you cash back.

A very good DM course can be had at Ocean College but will cost, its a very good deal with loads of boat dives. Call Iain.

Sinai Divers used to have a very very good internship for six months with work to pay it back, well worth a look, speak to Ingrid and see if they still do it. They are in Dahab and Sharm

There are many ways to do this and different dive centres will give you different offers. Normally it would be something along the lines that you don't pay for the course and you stay and help out for a few months (most of the time around 3 months) I know some one in Hamata who takes in DM Candidates (including Rescue) if you promise to stay for 3 months minimum. Quite oftern you'd also be offered a nomal DM paid-job after this period if you're good.

Check oput my website WELCOME TO AZIAB for more info on Egypt and Hamata and other places...

...a...

I would recommend that you pay for you pay for your course and try to get work afterwards. Nobody teaches you for free, so its better to get propper training and pay for it, This will take you maybe 1 to 3 months, than you have a relatioship with the centre you did the training with, you know the area and have a chance to find a place to work as a freelancer. I heard so many very bad reports from "free" internships, so stay away from it. Quite often they make a quick course to get you certified after a few weeks and than you have to stay with the shop for a couple of months and work for free. Why would you do this??
The money you "save" for not paying your DM course= you will spend afterwards when you get no money in 2- 3 months when you have to work for the centre. Also most instructors in Dahab get paid a commision for teaching, since you dont pay a course fee, he does not get commission, think how motivated he will be.

just my 2 cents
Thomas

Unlikely to get work as a DM - nearly everyone wants instructors now as DMs are very limited in what they can do. Currently every instructor is snowed under with work and DMs cant get any. Egypt generally is 100% commission based pay so no work, no money.

I am on the Mirage internship at the moment with one other. I have been here for nearly 6 weeks now, and all is good. The training is top notch and very varied. I have assisted on many courses, as well as having many guided dives. All the instructors whom Mirage use are very good, extremely helpfull and willing to provide me with their time and knowledge.

Mirage do not want to sign me off asap and get me working. They only employ the best, and so obviously want to make me into the best DM that they can. After all I will be representing them once qualified. There is no pressure to get it all done by a certain date .. there is flexibility with courses being run, exams taken, diving done, etc etc etc.

The people here at Mirage are great, and have a great attitude to both customers and staff. The internship is exactly what I was looking for. I had a lot of contact with them before coming out to Dahab, and have not been disappointed. It has been a case of joining in with the diving and courses, and study for exams etc when possible. So far I have done the EFR and Rescue courses, and am probably a couple of weeks from finishing the DM. However, it takes as long as it takes which is cool.

The manager here made it very clear that we will not be signed off unless he is happy, and that means going beyond the requirements for DM. I could not be happier about that.

If you want a long internship which will teach you a lot, treat you like a friend and colleague, then the one I am on fits the bill. Obviously I will be working for them for a long time with no pay, but they are putting me through the courses and giving me countless experience. Its a win win situation. :)

Unlikely to get work as a DM - nearly everyone wants instructors now as DMs are very limited in what they can do. Currently every instructor is snowed under with work and DMs cant get any. Egypt generally is 100% commission based pay so no work, no money.

I have complete intentions for acquiring my IDC after my DM. My DM however is most important at this given moment. Long before getting my IDC, I want to make sure that I am an excellent DM.

There are many ways to do this and different dive centres will give you different offers. Normally it would be something along the lines that you don't pay for the course and you stay and help out for a few months (most of the time around 3 months) I know some one in Hamata who takes in DM Candidates (including Rescue) if you promise to stay for 3 months minimum. Quite oftern you'd also be offered a nomal DM paid-job after this period if you're good.

Check oput my website WELCOME TO AZIAB for more info on Egypt and Hamata and other places...

...a...

Thanks so much for the website. That's description primarily suits what I'm looking for. I don't mind, in fact I'd love, staying months and working as long as I'm getting all the knowledge possible. Hamata does sound a bit deserted, but I'll check out some more info on it.

Hi,

I am currently on the Divemaster internship at Mirage Divers - Dahab. The other guy on the program has already replied to you, so I thought I would give my veiws too. I spent alot of time on the internet trying to find somewhere suitable, just as you are doing now. I was looking for a true internship where you didnt have to pay massive amounts of money for the training, so I contacted Mirage Divers.

The information they gave me was excellent, it was everything that I wanted. The program is for a 6 month period, which is great for me to be able to get loads of experience. I could of done the course back home over 10-15 days but all that would do is get me certified.

I have been here for 5 weeks now and things are brilliant, the dive centre is fantastic, modern, spacious, very clean and well maintained ( presentation and image is a very important thing to me because it shows professionalism and eye for detail )

The managers and other staff are great, with thousands of logged dives and alot of experience within the industry. The advise, knowledge and guideance they are giving me is brilliant - you couldnt buy that!

Its been busy busy busy since I started, I have assisted on many courses from o/w to a/o/w, discover scuba diving, scuba review aswell as going on many guided dives at quite a few dive sites here. On the quiet days I get alot of the theory work done for the exams ( only 2 left now :)). The structure of the course is great because it is flexible allowing you to get alot of practical experience, so hopefully by the end Mirage Divers will turn me into a great Divemaster, not just a certified one!!!!

I hope this helps and if you need any more info please feel free to contact me.

Regards
Mike-Divemaster in the making!

Back
Top Bottom