How do you pack your housing for travel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wick

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I just got a Ikelite housing for my Canon 500D. I also got the port extension and 8" dome. How would you suggest I pack this for travel? I have seen some cases that have foam inside. Is there a particular one that works best? I also think I would like to carry it on the plane with me.

Thanks

I have the Pelican case that is official airline carryon size. I'm not sure how large the ikelite housing is but I was able to fit my sea&sea housing, 9" dome port, one strobe with arms and 2 lenses, along with some chargers etc. I believe there are two varieties - one with padding and one with cut out foam. I got the padding because you can pack things as you like and there is no chance of any foam particles getting on any of you equipment. I know several people who have larger rigs and they have gotten the pelican cases with foam and actually check their bags. I'm not that brave yet.

I pack my ikelite D300 housing in a regular Flightliner carryon bag along with 2 DS200 substrobes. I wrap everything in bubblewrap.

I second the Pelican Case. NOAA uses them for all of their sensitive gear/cameras and I just bought one myself for my own. The pull-n-pluck foam is great fun!

Storm IM2500 case (cases4less.com) with foam. Nice wheels and just right for carry on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom