Fort Pickens Tuesday Aug 18th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RaginCajun

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm thinking about trying out Fort Pickens tomorrow for the first time. What do you think about the conditions? I've never dived it before but high tide is at 9:53 am which from what I understand should make for a dive window of say 8-10 am. NOAA says 5-10 mph winds out of the southeast. If my map reading skills are good, this should put Ft. Pickens on the leeward side of the prevailing winds. I'm just not sure how much effect this recent storm will have on conditions.

Anyone else heading out tomorrow? Am I crazy? My wife thinks so, but she's biased since I timed the tides way wrong at the St. Andrews jetties (once) and she ended up crawling over the jetties after getting swept towards the gulf. I think I've done my homework on this one, but I figured I'd get more good will out of her if I got a second opinion.

If anyone else is heading out...the more the merrier.

P'Cola got alot of rain today, not alot considering a Tropical Storm just rolled through, but still alot... There was a bit extra surge involved with the storm as well, so it may have affected the tide tables a bit.

I dunno, won't hurt to head out and take a look. You'd risk $7, so be prepared to spend the time exploring the fort if the water looks like crap.

Its a nice fort!

Tu 18 High 8:30 AM 1.7 6:18 AM Rise 4:07 AM
18 Low 8:14 PM -0.2 7:28 PM Set 6:15 PM

this is from http://www.saltwatertides.com/dynamic.dir/floridagulfsites.html#apalachicola

but i am planning on being out there and in the water about 7-ish am and will be goin to pcola beach rubble after to see if the storm uncovered/covered it up any more than what i saw on the 14th

yea we went...and from the surface it seemed amazing with a green-blue water which is unusual from the normal brown-ish water. hit the water about 730 am to see that viz wasnt the best at 5-10. also was enough current to just be an annoyance and kick up plenty of particulate, which is why viz was bad. for it being high/slack tide the current was enough to drift across the main rubble pretty fast which we did a few times

The current was likely due to left over surge from Claudette?

Back
Top Bottom