Thinking of moving to FL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pacificgal

Rest in Peace...
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
From CA. Warmer waters to dive in, and nothing to keep me in California.
So, I'm a diver and want to move on to warmer waters, should I look into going to Orlando or Miami? Both cities have places I could work.
It's a 5 year plan because I have to get my son out of high school first. And dust off my resume. What do you think? I'm thinking Florida because it's also easy to get to other tropical locations from there.

Orlando= caves/springs, 45-60 minutes to the beach on either coast and Disney. You have two seasons - hot and humid, cooler. Lots of old people.

Miami area= warm tropical waters, decent to very nice reefs with abundant marine life. Close/right on the beach. Two seasons also - hot and humid, hot and not so humid. A LOT more old people. Habla espanol?

Un poquito espanol. Mojito, margarita, cerveza, tequila, donde es el bano?
Mi gato es fria.
Which is cheaper to get to the Bahamas or other nice divable location?
Where do Florida divers vacation? I know it was super cheap to get to Cancun from Virginia Beach, and flights to Hawaii are a lot cheaper from San Francisco than from, say, Houston.
Out of Miami, what are some of the weekend trips offered?
As you can see, it's all about the vacations for me... Work hard, play harder.

I think it would depend on what you do for a living. My personal opinion as a Florida native and having been to Miami area, is that it is a nice place to bridfly visit, but I wouldn't want to live there. Orlando is far enough south for me and not a big deal to add a few hours to the drive... besides, when you're tired of diving, there's Universal and Disney here in o-town.

Ken

We get this question about every third week here, you might search for other good threads. I recommend my area (Dania Beach or near) because I am moments from the beach, the cruise port, the airport, I-95, I-595, and the Turnpike. I am 80 or so minutes from Key Largo, Naples, or Jupiter. We moved there when I worked in Ft. Lauderdale and my now-ex-spouse worked in Miami.

have to agree with debbydiver---broward rules---like a jumping off point to anywhere---ft lauderdale airport-half hour to bahamas---2 1/2 hours to costa rica/panama/honduras/

not a bad drive to the keys---I generally like to bypass miami when possible. Boynton is about 20 minutes north west palm beach-30-45 minutes--jupiter 45 minutes to an hour---a bunch of boats right in broward with great operators and boats. Really is a divers paradise, and of course you can do as much shorediving as you like. We have great wrecks all up and down our coast. Lobstering is good as well as spearfishing.

If you like to fish and dive--you will probably be in trouble down here from skipping so much work to fish and dive!!

It sucks down here, the reefs are dead, the buggin' sux, the other divers are morons, the locals hate everyone, and I would not live anywhere else.:rofl3:

As the others said, you can have a great time here in the Tri-County area.
I am in Coconut Creek, I am 90 minutes from Largo, and 1 hour from Jupiter boats.
Dis be da place.

Chug

Thanks all! If any of you are out here in CA and want to do some Monterey diving, let me know!
Just to warn you though, I have never seen 50' viz, and the water temp is anywhere from 46-56F.
All other respects beautiful though!

Absolutely paradise here. I live on the Gulf Coast, and it's just perfect here. I would not want to live anywhere else.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom