Silly Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kellykins

Contributor
Reaction score
What happens if a female menstruates....but is going diving? Is it safe??? ... what about sharks!

Hmm.

Diver in the water.

Blood in the water.

Shark in the water.

"Farewell and ado, to ye fair Spanish ladies..."

"There are no silly questions"...except for this one. Actually, DAN has an article DAN Divers Alert Network that says "don't worry, be happy".

I wouldn't have the slightest concern were I a female in that situation.

For a start, there aren't any medical issues relating to menstruating and scuba.

There are plenty of female scuba instructors and divemasters who don't take a week off work every month.

As a recreational diver, then it would be personal choice if you weren't comfortable diving during menstruation. If you would be happy to swim/snorkel, then you should be happy to dive.

Worrying about shark attack really shouldn't factor into the issue. The statistical probability of an attack whilst on scuba is virtually nil... and, even then, you are at more risk of an investigatory bite whilst on/near the surface due to your silouette (you look like a seal or turtle from below) than because of any blood in the water.

Yes, it is perfectly safe. You should check out the womens forum, this topic is covered in more detail there. http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/diving-related/257412-one-gals.html

As far as sharks go, there is no need to worry. Here is a link to an article on DAN's website: DAN Divers Alert Network : DAN Explores Fitness and Diving Issues for Women (scroll about 2/3 down for the section on menstrating and diving)

There are a few different hygenic options if you are going to dive while menstrating. Tampons are the most popular choice, but products like the Diva Cup are being more widely used and give more dependable protection.

Come visit us in the Women's forum and the Scuba Chix lounge, we will be happy to answer in more detail (poor guys don't want to know about this stuff anyways).

What happens if a female menstruates....but is going diving? Is it safe??? ... what about sharks!

It is safe. Sharks don't like human blood, they like fish blood.

Jayde:
Come visit us in the Women's forum and the Scuba Chix lounge, we will be happy to answer in more detail (poor guys don't want to know about this stuff anyways).

I find it quite pathetic when guys are uncomfortable about menstruation so if they have problems reading the thread they should really grow up :wink: No "poor guys" from me. Besides some men might have girlfriends, female friends, wives, sisters, mothers, cousins, etc that are going to start diving who might have the same question. I don't think this is something that needs to be a "woman's" issue only.

haha you should post this in the women's forum!! guys get "shkeeved" by some of this stuff! but anyway.. a girl asked me this same thing ON OUR CHECKOUT DIVE!! and I only got scared for a second. I heard on discovery channel that it is absolutely not the same "blood" as if something was bleeding so don't have to worry..

haha you should post this in the women's forum!! guys get "shkeeved" by some of this stuff!

Their problem, not the OPs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom