Tony Backhurst Scuba LTD - only wire transfers for payment in USD?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

speuci

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi,

Looking to book a trip, using Tony Backhurst (scuba.co.uk / scubatravel.com) - get to the invoice stage and am informed that for USD payment, they only accept bank transfer (no CC).

I'm very skeptical of any transfer via wire - but they appear to be legit based on references on this board. Anyone else wired them money? Any problems? Any suggestions re safeguards?

Thanks,
Jeff

Hi,

Looking to book a trip, using Tony Backhurst (scuba.co.uk / scubatravel.com) - get to the invoice stage and am informed that for USD payment, they only accept bank transfer (no CC).

I'm very skeptical of any transfer via wire - but they appear to be legit based on references on this board. Anyone else wired them money? Any problems? Any suggestions re safeguards?

Thanks,
Jeff

My business wires money internationally without any problem. Your bank should be able to handle for a "small" charge. The down side of paying by wire rather than CC is that you loose the consumer protections that CC offer in the US. By requiring wire transfer, the vendor is saving the CC fee, typically a few percent of the amount. Plus they get immediate access to the funds.

Once you wire the $$$, you'll have a very difficult time getting anything back if there is a misunderstanding or the vendor fails to provide the services purchased. Make sure that you're real comfortable with the vendor first.

I know nothing about this vendor.

I understand your are nervous regarding wiring money across I often us US companies to book my diving trips with and similarly prefer to pay by CC due to the extra insurances you get.

However I can at least confirm that Tony Backurst is a reputable company and well known throughout Europe.

My dive club in the UK use Tony Backurst to arrange group liveaboard trips several times a year and have never had any problems (we also wire the money).

Maybe the best thing is for you to get holiday insurance to cover your outlay?

Thanks for the representation - I've done some research and seen many positive posts regarding the shop. I've decided (against my rule) to do it, hopefully I won't be back here ranting about the choice down the road!!

You dont have to wory about Tont Backhurst, he is the largest dive tarvel agent in the Uk, its not a scam or something. On which boat are you going, I have been working with Tony for two years on liveaboards in the red sea.
Thomas

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom