Thanks Bill for nothing......

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sporket

Contributor
Reaction score
Looks like my dives in Myrtle Beach will be blown out for sure. But I do have a question. In the Atlantic when a large storm blows nearby, does that cause a drastic, if not extreme current formations? My guess would be certainly yes. Correct?

It will cause riptides on the beach and maybe some stronger that usaual currents as it passes but lets hope it breaks up the wicked thermocline that has been out there for the past few months.

Sorry your trip got messed up. Mother nature is a fickle lady (well most ladies are:D:D it's a joke O.K. Be hearing from N.O.W. soon :D)

Where were you going to dive in MB? I am in MB now and was thinking of diving on Friday. I have'nt checked yet, but is the weather going to cancel diving? I am going to call around tomorrow.

I was planning to dive the BP on Saturday with Express Water Sports. But unfortunately Saturday I think will be taken off the list. But I'm not sure if anything gas been canceled as of yet.

Whew... from the subject line I thought I'd done something wrong... again.

Looks like my dives in Myrtle Beach will be blown out for sure. But I do have a question. In the Atlantic when a large storm blows nearby, does that cause a drastic, if not extreme current formations? My guess would be certainly yes. Correct?

Last year over labor day weekend there was a major storm in the Bahamas region while I was diving North Carolina. 5 feet beneath the seemingly tranquil surface, there was a ripping current so bad that my reg was burping. We had to pull ourselves down the line to the wreck hand over hand.

I think the key thing is that tropical atlantic hurricanes can cause _unpredictable_ currents that are non-obvious at the surface even.

Whew... from the subject line I thought I'd done something wrong... again.

:rofl3: me too! That is why I read the thread to see what you'd been up to!
:rofl3:

Last year over labor day weekend there was a major storm in the Bahamas region while I was diving North Carolina. 5 feet beneath the seemingly tranquil surface, there was a ripping current so bad that my reg was burping. We had to pull ourselves down the line to the wreck hand over hand.

I think the key thing is that tropical atlantic hurricanes can cause _unpredictable_ currents that are non-obvious at the surface even.

Thanks for that. Its in line with what I was thinking. I would imagine there would potentially be very strong currents this weekend. I'll make a dive on Sunday, 1 day post storm, and see.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom