Diving into the Devils Den ... taking pictures?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RickI

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
stairs_IMG_7469.sized.jpg

Well some of us can't help ourselves. Anyway it is an intriguing inland dive in a developing sinkhole. The roof is still largely intact, depths inside the main chamber are pretty shallow. There are some smaller cave outlets beneath the surface with the obligatory skull and crossbones warnings. Still, it is a truly bizarre dive ($9. for free divers, more for SCUBA), chilly too with 72 F water worth checking out in my opinion. I understand viz. can vary so it might be good to check with the shop there in advance. Lots of interesting springs in northern Florida. Recommend full NACD qualification for any penetration of the caves. Way too many lost divers in Florida caves over the decades as it is. Understand some run checkout dives in the main open chamber. Note: watch your head coming up, those sloped rock walls can hit back if you let them!

Several more photos at:
Photo Of The Day!!! - Page 25 - FKA Kiteboarding Forums

I was going to comment that there is not much to take photo's of in Devils Den, but you prove me wrong. This is a very nice shot! The sun must have been directly overhead. BTW, I have always thought the sign in this photo was one of the scarriest in all of my dives! (much worse than the Grim Reaper signs)

Last edited:
Thanks, actually I had problems getting any useable shots in there. There was so much humidity and sharp temperature differential had major fogging issues. All the shots in the link were taken with a land camera. I was using two low end UW cameras, with serious limitations in image quality. It was later in the afternoon. Most of the illumination in the photos was ambient amplified through longer exposures with some weak strobe fill. I would like to try it again, with a better UW setup to capture things better. I do have some poor video of the grim reaper signs in a couple of the caves. Good things to pay attention to, with or without tanks.

I was going to comment that there is not much to take photo's of in Devils Den, but you prove me wrong. This is a very nice shot! The sun must have been directly overhead. BTW, I have always thought the sign in this photo was on of the scarriest in all of my dives! (much worse than the Grim Reaper signs)

Great shot and on a clear day! Did you go into any of the caves? I just snorkeled up to the signs with weak illumination and turned around.

to embed images, you copy the address of the image and then paste it between the brackets of:
3841422130_621d8c0727.jpg

without the ** before http resulting in:

Here is a photo at about 30' under the water looking up at the hole in the top of the ceiling.
Devils Den on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Thanks, this is my favorite photo I took there. I love how you can even see the trees hanging over the entrance. No I am not cave certified, just went in as far as signs and took some photos.

Great shot and on a clear day! Did you go into any of the caves? I just snorkeled up to the signs with weak illumination and turned around.

to embed images, you copy the address of the image and then paste it between the brackets of:

without the ** before http resulting in:

Last edited:
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom