Naples Fl Area Sites

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaAruba

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello...

Just wondering if anyone can tell me if there are enough dive site (wrecks or reefs) in the Naples area to keep 2 divers busy for a week. :cool2: We take about 3 dive trips a year and pretty much dive 3 dive per day- that's why I ask if the Naples area will keep us busy enough. We are looking to visit a friend who lives there, but our main reason for going is diving in FL. I have also heard of Marco Island, FL is that a better option and still close enough to Naples. Otherwise if anyone can suggest an area around Naples that would have good diving I would be very interested.

Thanks in advance.

There are lots of awesome dive sites offshore the Naples/Marco area. Unless you are experienced in and enjoy low viz and long boat rides, you might want to consider the Fort Lauderdale area. Viz can be very good in the Gulf, but it's not all that common.

That's good to know. My thrill is photography so VIZ is very important to me...Just so I'm clear- better VIZ in Fort Lauderdale area? What about the Keys? I know that's a ways from Naples, but just curious ..Thx

That's good to know. My thrill is photography so VIZ is very important to me...Just so I'm clear- better VIZ in Fort Lauderdale area? What about the Keys? I know that's a ways from Naples, but just curious ..Thx

Viz is typically 30-100' in the Fort Lauderdale area and you can be there in 90 minutes from Naples. Key Largo will add at least another hour to that depending on the route and the time of day.

Ft. Lauderdale has some great diving. I'd recommend the American Dream II dive charter. Nice, large boat and a professional crew. You'll enjoy clear, blue water most of the time.

Key Largo has some nice sites too, but unless you're going specifically for something like the Spiegel Grove wreck, I'd just shoot over to Lauderdale.

Here's a couple maps I found in our newspaper of dive sites off the coast of Ft. Myers.

LeeCountyDiveSitesjpg.jpg

page2.jpg

Years ago I did a number of dives off Naples - one was a LARGE sunken ferry (deep) - another was the "Blue Hole"

I think if I lived in the Naples/Fl Myers area, I would be very pleased with the local diving and I did see the article mentioned in this thread - lots of options; also Naples/Ft Myers/Marco Island are beautiful places, and have a lot of nice people (many former midwesterners, in fact) living there. I would not go to either for a dedicated dive vacattion.

All that said, the diving is much better on the SE coast - if you have the option, dive Palm Beach county - especially if you are going east - the reefs of Boynton/Delray - West Palm - and perhaps after you have gotten a few dives in - Jupiter.

If you think you are going to make the trip east, post back and I can suggest some great Palm Beach operators - if this is a dive trip vs shopping on 5th ave south, and nice hotels and dining - much better places to stay - have your friend come over to meet you and dive SE FL.

I Live in Fort Myers, and my dad has a boat we can go diving here some time if you would like...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom